We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the bus or train a better way from Regensburg to Prague?

Chardon, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is the bus or train a better way from Regensburg to Prague?

I am wondering whether a bus is a better method of travel from Regensburg to Prague. I had read somewhere that the bus ride is smoother and faster. I am also wondering if there is a direct route from Regensburg to Prague via train. The train schedules I have seen show trains from Nuremburg to Prague but not from Regensburg to Prague. Would it be advisable to purchase tickets for either the bus or the train before we leave the States?

Old Town
Historic Walking Areas
Golf Museum
Specialty Museums
Alte Kapelle
Sacred & Religious Sites
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,809 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the bus or train a better way from Regensburg to Prague?

For all transportation see

www.bahn.de

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the bus or train a better way from Regensburg to Prague?

Hi,

There is a direct ALX / Regio train from Regensburg Hbf to Prague. That takes 4.27 hours and price is 44.30 euro for a full flex ticket .

You can also take a very comfortable bus + Regio train :

RE / RB / IC train from Regnsburg Hbf To Nurnberg Hbf

Express Bus Nurnberg to Prague

Travel time is 5.40 hours and the cheapest fare starts at 29 euro if you book enough time in advance online. The full flex fare is 64 euro : One way .

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/DEU/en/index.shtml

Max

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the bus or train a better way from Regensburg to Prague?

There are sometimes highly discounted seats available 92 days out from day of travel and that is when I book point to point tickets. They are not flexible so no changes or refunds and are specific to that exact bus/train. But you can often save a lot. They sell out fast.

Edited: 5:50 am, May 19, 2010
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,573 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the bus or train a better way from Regensburg to Prague?

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Prague

There are 2 direct trains (dep 10:31 and 18:35) , which are also the fastest and the cheapest option. Similar fast the connection dep 14:30 with 1 change of trains in Schwandorf.

Cheap if you use 2 tickets for this trip.

1. Bayern-Böhmen Ticket (Bavaria-Bohemia Ticket)

EUR 33,00 for 2-5 persons

This ticket covers the route as far as Pilsen/Plzen. It covers furthermore also the buses in Regensburg. You can buy this ticket on spot from ticket machines or for EUR 2,00 more at the counter.

2. normal ticket for the part Pilsen/Plzen to Prague

You can buy this ticket online

https://eshop.cd.cz/search.aspx?lang=E

or for a small service surcharge on board of the train from the Czech conductor (comes in Furth im Wald on board).

Use at the CD online shop

To: Praha

Select the folder "Group ticket" after you have clicked on "Purchase ...". Groupt ticket for 2 is CZK 215,34 (~ EUR 8,40).

Thus 2 can travel from Regensburg to Prague for EUR 41,40. And with more persons it will get even cheaper per person.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,935 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the bus or train a better way from Regensburg to Prague?

I agree with the above - if you pay on the train you should specify the group discount 'skupinová sleva' to the Czech conductor - they don't always apply it, and of course only pay for the section from Plzen to Prague.

NB if you buy a ticket through the Czech Railways e-shop make sure that you buy a ticket from Plzen to Prague (Praha) for the same train that you are on (otherwise it is not valid) .

There is no need to make a reservation on this train - nobody does, and you just sit in the same seats all the way through.

www.idos.cz gives the most user-friendly overview of times (English button bottom right)

This trick can also be used for travelling from Munich - a group of 5 can travel very cheaply this way (about €16 each)

Good luck!

Edited: 5:22 am, May 20, 2010
6. Re: Is the bus or train a better way from Regensburg to Prague?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 17, 2010