We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
103 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

This is a follow-up to my post yesterday re: day trips from Nuremberg. Using trains, both Rothenburg o.d. Trauber and Dinkelsbuhl will require changes to get to so they seem less convenient than Wurtzburg, Bamberg, Amberg and Regensberg from Nuremberg. Dinkelsbuhl will will require taking a bus from Ansbach. Rothenburg o.d. Tauber looks like a quaint town, but one that is now overrun by tourists (no doubt in part because of Rick Steves' promotion of the town on his program and in his books for years). If the choice is between either Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl (and not both because of time constraints), any comments that would help selecting the more pleasant Bavarian character town would be appreciated.,

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,161 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

Personally I would choose R o d T so long as I could stay late enough to do Nightwatchman Walk. At R you can walk the walls, not at D.

Yes, R is touristy, although suspect R Steves little to do with it. Maybe for US citizens, but more nationalities than you are there.

Bayerisch Eisenstein
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

Although both are stunning towns, personally I'd head for Dinkelsbuehl. It relies far less on tourism for its livelihood so I think has a much more true Bavarian flavour to it, than Rothenburg o.d. Tauber, which does smack a little of a theme park.

Dinkelsbuehl also has a nightwatchman tour. www.dinkelsbuehl.de/ISY/index.php?get=503

If you do head to Rothenburg stay overnight if possible. That way you can experience the place without the coach loads of day trippers - a much more pleasant experience.

Edited: 5:26 am, March 06, 2014
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

If it wasn't for the tourists, Rothenburg o. d. T. would be my choice (and possibly regardless of the tourists). Both towns are nice, but Rothenburg gives you more scenic views. As I wrote in your other thread (and others have pointed out), staying overnight in Rothenburg definitely makes sense.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

Rothenburg is 2.5 hours round trip from Nuremberg - with 2 changes of train each way. D'bühl is 3.5-4 hours and involves a bus connection.

You don't need to go that far to find amazing Bavarian towns.

Iphofen is 1.5 hours round trip by DIRECT train from Nuremberg. It's a fantastic old walled town where wine and art are the main draws. See photos at this German page:

stadtbild-deutschland.org/forum/index.php…

Neustadt an der Aisch is on the way to Iphofen on the same train line - a normal Bavarian town with 1 or 2 tourists and lots of ambiance:

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Neusta…

frankenradar.de/files/…p1010926.jpg

Amberg is about 1:40 round trip from Nuremberg - you can take a DIRECT train there too - lovely place:

…google.com/mw-panoramio/…17662426.jpg

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Amberg…

…panoramio.com/photos/large/14367904.jpg

…google.com/mw-panoramio/…9861646.jpg

Amberg's playful town artwork is scattered around town. At the square where the former open-air meat market once drew crowds:

…google.com/mw-panoramio/…30190793.jpg

Amberg's Town library: …staticflickr.com/5064/5828145326_7baff6d4b8…

I don't think you'll find any hokey Nightwatchmen or torture museums or Käthe Wohlfart shops or Schneeballen in these places, however.

Edited: 8:37 am, March 06, 2014
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

Even being touristy, I'd go to Rothenburg. You can walk on top of the town wall, visit the medieval crime museum and walk the pretty but small "Burg Garten".

Just try to avoid staying at spots where bus loads are just getting out; then you will hv a great time there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

Agree, even with tourists (the bus crowds leave around dinner time), Rothenburg. It's not that the Nightwatchman Tourin general is terrific, it's the man himself that makes the Tour a highlight of a stay in Rothenburg.

Paul

California
Level Contributor
103 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

Thank you again for your very helpful comments. We arrive and depart by train from Nuremberg, so spending the night in Rothenberg o.d. Tauber creates some unwanted packing and moving, even though we travel very light. So we will either limit our visit to R.o.d.T., rely on trains and take a late connection back to Nuremberg (VGN dpt. R.o.dT Bahnhof at 20:06 or 22:06) or we will rent a car at the Nuremberg train station. In Plan B we would drive to Dinkelsbuhl in the morning; lunch and spend several hours relaxing in Dinkelsbuhl the drive to R.o.d.T. mid to late afternoon. If we use this approach we would spend the late afternoon, dinner and early evening in R.o.d.T and driving back to Nuremberg departing at about 20:00 (with GPS of course). This is more moving around then we normally like, but maybe its worth it.

California
Level Contributor
103 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

Thank you for your prompt and helpful response.

California
Level Contributor
103 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

We have Amberg to our itinerary and are looking forward to our visit there.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,161 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rothenburg o.d. Tauber or Dinkelsbuhl

You CAN actually get back from R o d T after Nightwatchman Walk on train if you needed to.

Get answers to your questions about Nuremberg