We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Riyadh
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

Hi everyone, We are travelling to Nuremberg from Prague on 28th Dec being another leg of our Europe tour this time. Now I'm facing glitches as to the following. Could someone elaborate/advice more on that pls?

1.We will be arriving in Nuremberg around 21:30 in the evening. Could you guys recommend any good/decent (2-3 stars) hotels close to the main station. Is it near the city centre? What's the best way to access the city's attractions?

2.We'll be staying for 02 nights and would leave for Amsterdam for new year's eve. I'm using DB Bahn ICE train but there's a transfer in Hannover of JUST 08 minutes. Are there any other way of direct transport to AMS from Nuremberg? Is this 08-minute gap is sufficient to get our selves on board on the next train? We are with a kid of 4+. Pls advice.

3.Finally, I intiallly planned to go directly to Frankfurt from Prague and stay 02 days over there. But later changed to Nuremberg due to the awkward arrival timings of the train in Frankfurt. (00:00 midnight). How do you guys rate Nuremberg over Franfurt? Have I made a good decision? Are there more attractions in FRA than Nuremberg?

Thanks in advance.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

1.We will be arriving in Nuremberg around 21:30 in the evening. Could you guys recommend any good/decent (2-3 stars) hotels close to the main station. Is it near the city centre? What's the best way to access the city's attractions?

The main train station is next to Old Town - connected by a pedestrian tunnel. So any hotel on the south end of the Alt Stadt would be convenient. Last time we were in Nuremburg, we just had 1 night (en route from Prague to FRA, actually) and stayed at the Hotel Victoria, which is in the Alt Stadt, right by the entrance to the pedestrian tunnel to the train station. It could not have been more convenient. And the hotel was good - comfortable, well-run, good location, and a great buffet breakfast.

hotelvictoria.de/hotel_nuernberg/index.php…

2.We'll be staying for 02 nights and would leave for Amsterdam for new year's eve. I'm using DB Bahn ICE train but there's a transfer in Hannover of JUST 08 minutes. Are there any other way of direct transport to AMS from Nuremberg? Is this 08-minute gap is sufficient to get our selves on board on the next train? We are with a kid of 4+. Pls advice.

8 minutes should be enough. Just be ready to get off the train as soon as it stops and also find out ahead of time what track your connecting train will be on so you are prepared. And if you miss your connection due to a late train or something, you can take the next one. If you have a Saver Fare ticket, you will need to talk with the station agent so you can take the next train. If you are travelling full fare, then just get on the next train.

3.Finally, I intiallly planned to go directly to Frankfurt from Prague and stay 02 days over there. But later changed to Nuremberg due to the awkward arrival timings of the train in Frankfurt. (00:00 midnight). How do you guys rate Nuremberg over Franfurt? Have I made a good decision? Are there more attractions in FRA than Nuremberg?

I think you have made a good decision - it is what I would do. I like Nuremburg a lot. Frankfurt, of course, is a bigger city, so I am sure it does have more attractions than Nuremburg, but it really depends on what sorts of attractions YOU want to see.

Mainz, Germany
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

Hi,

I can not give advice on the hotels

About the trains I can give some advice since I am Dutch and have taken these trains more often. 8 minutes should be enough, do make sure though you book in one go from Nuerenberg to Amsterdam (not two seperate bookings) as with air travel the Deutsche Bahn is responsible for getting you to Amsterdam if you miss the connection they offered you, if you make two seperate bookings then it is your fault you showed up late and when you travel on a saver fare you simply need to buy a new ticket (which can be expensive).

If you book seats you always need to go to a desk if you miss your connection, they will then give you a new seat reservation (which with a 4 year old might be what you want).

The train to Amsterdam from Hannover is an IC which means it are just coaches behind a locomotive it is also slower then an ICE it is however cheaper it runs every 2 hours from Hannover and is often delayed since it comes from Berlin.

UK
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

As the previous poster said, eight minutes is normally plenty. It should also be noted that trains will, in certain circumstances, wait for delayed connections (not forever, obviously), and your connection would almost definitely come under these "certain circumstances", because...:

- your onward train is a "lower-ranking" train (IC/EC as opposed to ICE), and

- the next train would not be for another two hours

Lower-ranking trains are more likely to be held for higher-ranking trains than the other way round, and the time that passengers would have to wait for the next train also comes into the equation.

Mainz, Germany
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

That is indeed true, however the IC to Amsterdam is an international train making it very important it is on time also because it might be cancelled at the border if it doesnt cross on time (the Dutch train schedule is so tight that there is sometimes no time slot to put a delayed train in, certainly since these international trains are allready in a non standard time slot since the Dutch train system is like a tram with most trains running every 15, 30 or 60 minutes all day long, so very much unlike the German system where all trains run at random times during the day).

One time I was connecting in Hannover my ICE from Munich was delayed by 10 minutes and the IC to Amsterdam had left. It probably also depends on how many people normally transfer from one train to the other.

if you are delayed for 2 hours then dont worry, right in front of the train station in Hannover the shopping district starts and there are a number of large stores where you can stroll around. Also there are a number of stalls where you can get something to eat quite cheaply.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

I think you've made a good decision, as Nürnberg is much nicer than Frankfurt.

As for your transfer in Hannover: There is an option on the DB website (www.bahn.de) to indicate that you need more transfer time. I don't know exactly where to find it, but somewhere in the detailed search options. Maybe just do that, indicate that you need at least X minutes for your transfer, and the website will calculate a different connection.

The train station in Nürnberg is right next to the pedestrian area. You just have to cross one street (take the underpass, it makes things easier) and you're there. ... To find a hotel, use www.hotel.de or www.hrs.de, indicate your budget, and then have a look at how close to the train station these hotels are and read the recommendations of other travelers. Sorry, can't recommend one, as I've never stayed in a hotel in Nürnberg but returned home on the same day.

Mainz, Germany
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

Indeed that is an option on the website of the deutsche bahn, http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/d here and then umsteigzeit and choose which you like.

I looked up your connection and why travel via Hannover anyway? It also gives options to travel by ICE to Frankfurt or Duisburg and change there to the ICE to Amsterdam, this connection is at the normalpreis 6 euro cheaper then the one via Hannover, it is 1 hour quicker and you have around 20 minutes to transfer (depending on the exact connection).

UK
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

"That is indeed true, however the IC to Amsterdam is an international train making it very important it is on time also because it might be cancelled at the border if it doesnt cross on time"

Really? I've been on that train dozens of times, and there have been many occasions when it was running late - sometimes by a few minutes, occasionally by much more than a few minutes. I've never, in 20+ years of using this particular route, seen a train being cancelled "because it was running too late" (nor for any other reason, for that matter)

Mainz, Germany
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

hmm, I have had a different experience, I have taken it three times and twice it was cancelled, once in Arnhem once in Utrecht due to the delay and that was then 30 minutes or so and there was nothing like snow and such just a delay (once a signal problem and once some problem at a station where they didnt have all platforms available).

This also one of the reasons they downgraded it from EC to IC, because EC needs to run on time at least for XX% of time and the IC does not have this requirement.

Anyway the route via Frankfurt or Duisburg is cheaper, faster and has a longer stopover time so I would go for that.

UK
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

JMP98251, your last post throws a different light on what you said earlier... The train wasn't cancelled "at the border" (with passengers left stranded). It sounds like staff took the sensible decision to transfer passengers to one of the frequent local trains for the last part of their journey, and send the train back to where it came from so that it would be back on schedule for the journey back to Berlin.

I agree that coming from the South it makes more sense to take one of the other routes to Amsterdam rather than go all the way up to Hannover.

New York
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Limited transfer time in Nuremberg

There's a nice Intercity Hotel in the same side of the town wall as the train station. Just walk out the west side of the station about 3 blocks, parallel to the tracks. As to FfM vs Nuremberg, for a short tourist stop, N'berg is fine.