We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

San Jose
Level Contributor
61 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

A group of 5 family members and friends will end a river cruise in Nuremberg next April followed by 5 nights in Prague.

Question: Which would be the more enjoyable way to go from Nuremberg to Prague...bus or train? Most important factors are ease of getting from the dock to the bus or train...loading our baggage and traveling in comfort to Prague. Money is not an issue. Thanks!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

> Most important factors are ease of getting from the dock to the bus or train

Departure is for either Nürnberg Hbf, the main train station. The DB ExpressBuses to Prague depart right from the main entrance of this train station. Not from Nuremberg bus station.

Best option to get there is by taxi.

The buses are the only direct option and also faster. The trains would be cheaper (when using 2 tickets for the trip). You can buy tickets for the buses through the DB timetable (from 92 days before departure on).

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Nürnberg Hbf

Destination: Praha hl.n.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

Being stuck in a cramped bus seat may be a bit quicker on this particular route (unfortunately) but the train is always more pleasant and civilised.

You can book Nuremberg to Prague by train from just €19 (500 Czech Koruna) in either direction at the Czech railways website www.cd.cz/eshop with print-at-home tickets. Look for options without the words '(bus)'.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

"being stuck in a cramped bus seat"

I never felt being stuck in a cramped bus seat the two times I did that journey.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,748 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

Man in the seat 61, The ICBus between Nuremberg and Prague has ICE seats built in. Have you ever taken the train from Nuremebrg to Prague? The line does not support more than 60 km/h in some places within Czech Republic, the rolling stock is significantly older than you and has often only seen very superficial repairs.

On this particular line the bus is actually the civilized option, not the train, and will be until teh Czech Republic starts investing in their massive rail infrastructure the way Germany or Switzerland did for the last decades.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

I took the train in 2007 before bus service was offered on this route. I can assure you I will NEVER ride that route again, unless of course more modern rails are properly installed and a right proper ICE train is on offer. The journey took nearly 6 hours of clackety-screechety-bumpety-stinkety and never exceeded 50 km/h. The bus however is very plush and quite comfortable, I have traveled this route 6 times and plan again this October.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

There are no direct trains on this route any more anyway - there are options which you can indeed buy for €19 from Czech Railways that take about 2 hours more than the bus but you have to change in Cheb and it really is a bit of a boneshaker - if you are an old romantic and really really like old trains go for it, but bring your own refreshments as there are none on those trains. www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/CZ/CD_Bdt.php vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…P1100861.jpg but why do this when for the same amount of money you can do the journey much quicker and more comfortably by bus?

Even if you search for no bus, it will return results for the bus as it is to all intents and purposes a train, even with a train interior. It just happens to have rubber wheels.

Edited: 10:37 am, July 30, 2013
San Jose
Level Contributor
61 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

abalada,

Thanks for the excellent information and recommendations!

Wisemoney

San Jose
Level Contributor
61 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

Man_In_Seat_61,

I appreciate your suggestion. I tend to favor trains myself and it would certainly be an interesting way to see some of the countryside.

Wisemoney

San Jose
Level Contributor
61 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

altamiro,

Thanks for your perspective on the train versus bus question. I believe my family pictured the more efficient trains you mentioned as opposed to the Czech system which apparently needs to be updated significantly.

Wisemoney

San Jose
Level Contributor
61 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nuremberg To Prague - By Bus Or Train?

snydley,

I appreciate the description of your experience. Six times on that bus route gives you considerable credibility regarding the question at hand.

Wisemoney