We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any beautiful place between Nuremberg and Prague

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Any beautiful place between Nuremberg and Prague

Hello,

I am thinking of catching the train between Munich and Prague, but was wondering if I could divide the 5 hours trip between 2 days and took the advantage of visiting somewhere else...any beautiful town on my way?

Thanks in advance,

Sofia

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,223 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any beautiful place between Nuremberg and Prague

Bayerisch Eisenstein / Bavarian Forest National Park

www.bayerisch-eisenstein.de/index.php?lang=en

nationalpark-bayerischer-wald.de/english/ind…

Bayerisch Eisenstein's train station sits directly on the border. This has also advantages ticket wise. You can travel from Nuremberg to Bayerisch Eisenstein on a Bayern Ticket

www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Bayern_ticket

And from Bayerisch Eisenstein (Železná Ruda-Alžbětín) to Prague the cheap Czech tariff does apply (230 CZK ~ 9 EUR).

Nürnberg
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any beautiful place between Nuremberg and Prague

I sugest a stop in Regensburg, world hertiage site!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any beautiful place between Nuremberg and Prague

Thank you both...I am brainstorming about this trip...what a great thing to do!

Bayerisch Eisenstein
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any beautiful place between Nuremberg and Prague

Bayerisch Eisenstein is a village, not a town. The population of the whole of the Gemeinde is just over a 1000. It's situated right on the German/Czech border at the heart of what is often described as the green roof of Europe: A vast strip of primeval forest that runs for several hundred kilometers (at least) along the border and into Austria. The village is on the edge of 2 National parks, one each side of the border and at the heart of the Bayerischer Wald Naturpark (in England its nearest equivalent would be an AONB - area of outstanding natural beauty). It's just 7 km from Grosser Arber; the highest mountain in the Forest, at 1454m with its cable car and wintersports facilities. The village train station is unique in Europe as it's the only one in Europe shared by 2 countries. The station building has recently been purchased by the Bayerischer Wald National park, who have renovated it and should be opening in the spring of this year with a variety of exhibitions about the forest, the railway & the border. The village is 3 hours from Munich and about 4 - 4.5 hours from Prague (by train). As Abalada says the Bayern ticket covers the journey from Munich to Eisenstein and then the Czech train costs around 10 Euros per person for the onwards journey to Prague. Guests staying in Bayerisch Eisenstein get free use of local trains and buses on the German side of the border for the duration of their stay, under the Guti scheme.

bayerwald-ticket.com/files/smfiledata/3/5/6/…

If you want a few days rest and relaxation in a quiet village within a beautiful natural environment away from busy cities, then Eisenstein is worth considering.

bayerwald-ticket.com/files/smfiledata/3/5/5/…

www.naturpark-bayer-wald.de/eisenstein/

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any beautiful place between Nuremberg and Prague

Thank you for the so complete info, Clairejerry!

Now I have no doubt I have to visit Bayerisch Eisenstein...I've looked into some images...like many little towns in Germany it makes me remember my childhood, watching Heidi!

Sofia

6. Re: Any beautiful place between Nuremberg and Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 08, 2014