We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

map help.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
map help.

I'm hotel hunting and would like to ask where is the old town part of Nuremberg. What is the name of the main street that is the centre of the platz.

I've googled and I can see a train station and a river with town all around. I was looking at Hotel Agneshof and the reviews say close to old town and then Hotel Victoria reviews say the same. I did a check and on google it's a 15 min walk between the two so they both can't be near the old part of town.

Can someone please enlighten me, thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Hotel Agneshof
Hotel Agneshof
535 Reviews
Nuremberg, Germany
Hotel Victoria
Hotel Victoria
1,058 Reviews
Nuremberg, Germany
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,541 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: map help.

Nürnberg used to be one of the richest and most powerful cities in the Holy Roman Empire for centuries so you can expect its old town centre to have a notable size. You need more than 15 minutes to walk through the whole old town. That distance does not indicate anything.

Look at a map of the city (Google maps, for example). The ground plan is obvious. You see the ring of the walls around the centre, the castle hill in the North, the river that cuts through the centre halfway. You'll want to be in the Northern half, anywhere between the castle and Pegnitz river.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: map help.

Can't help with street names but I have booked the Agneshof for a couple of nights in January. My thinking was that it appeared closer to the 'sights' which are almost all in/around the old town. A colleague who is from Nuremberg says it's a good location for sightseeing.

I found this info vag.de/consoleo_files/modulefiles//filebrows… - it might be handy for you guys too.

cheers

helen

Mentioned in this post
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Hotel Agneshof
Hotel Agneshof
535 Reviews
Nuremberg, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: map help.

…nuernberg.de/englisch/e_start.htm

-> Plan

for a map of the old town. The city wall around the Altstadt (old town) was 5 km long. Approx. 4 km are still standing.

Mentioned in this post
Altstadt
Altstadt
1,187 Reviews
Nuremberg, Germany
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: map help.

Many thanks to all for the assistance and information.

5. Re: map help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 29, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Nuremberg