We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel near Christkindlemarkt

mission viejo, CA
6 posts
Save Topic
hotel near Christkindlemarkt

Does anyone know of the best hotel closest to the Christmas market?????

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel near Christkindlemarkt

You might consider Hotel Agneshof Nürnberg. http://www.agneshof-nuernberg.de/index_e.htm

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187310-d234…

Other possibilites

www.holidayinn-nuernberg.de/index_e.htm

http://www.carlton-nuernberg.de/index_e.htm

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel near Christkindlemarkt

We took the train to Nuremburg for the Christmas market. We only stayed one night so location was important. We stayed right next to the train station at InterCity Hotel. It is just across the street from the Old city. The hotel included free U-bahn pass, but there was no need. We walked everywhere from the hotel. There are Christmas stalls starting at the train station and continue to the main square. For us the location was great. The hotel was good and the staff was wonderful.

You didn't ask this question, but I will add my 2 cents. We did ALOT of christmas markets this year. Nurenberg was our least favorite. We wouldn't go back again. It was too crowded and commercial for us. We don't mind crowds. We do Mardi Gras in NO often. But it was so bad in Nurenberg we couldn't shop. We were pushed around so much we couldn't drink gluwein without it all over us. We gave up and walked around the city away from the main square. The germans who were working all over the city seemed so tired and cranky, understandably so. The town seems nice and maybe we will go back when it isn't Christmas time.

Surrey
Level Contributor
187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel near Christkindlemarkt

I was interested to hear that this market was not someone's favourite. I've been to Cologne in 2002, which I loved, and was thinking of trying Nurenburg next year.I really don't want to find I'm disappointed by trying somewhere new, can anyone recommnend another location in Germany where the market is as good as Cologne! Cheers and Merry Christmas

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,847 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel near Christkindlemarkt

Nuremberg always seems to have a good reputation for the Christmas Market, but many more people visit the Cologne markets and the Stuttgart Market. The nice thing in visiting the Stuttgart Market (which is one of the oldest and most beautiful, the largest and the most visited) is that there are also two other large themed Christmas markets 15 minutes away by local transportation in the form of the S-bahn which each attract over a million visitors each: Esslingen Medieval & Christmas Market in the excellent well preserved medieval center of this city (a joy to visit even without the market); and Ludwigsburg Baroque Christmas Market near Germany's largest perfectly preserved Baroque palace which alone has several days of excellent things to visit and see. Since each market is distinctly different, it's not like just visiting another Christmas Market and a day spent in each and its surroundings is enjoyable and worthwhile.

As I live a few blocks away from the Stuttgart Christmas Market I enjoy visiting it repeatedly. Others have commented on crowded markets, but the better large markets are always crowded particularly in the evenings and weekends. (I noticed this year that there appeared to be more room in the Stuttgart Market to walk, as there was more room between the higly decorated booths.) If you want to buy items, go early in the day when they first open, and there will be few people around even on weekends and you can see it all and easily shop. After noon, things start to get busy. In my opinion, most markets are best in the evening with the lights and crowds enjoying themselves. If it is too crowded then, just stay on the fringes, you'll still have a good time without having that trapped feeling.

Stuttgart is inexpensively accessable from London Stansted by German Wings, www.germanwings.com .

Surrey
Level Contributor
187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel near Christkindlemarkt

Thanks so much for all that very useful information! Have a very Happy Chirstmas. I shall have lots to research for next year!

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel near Christkindlemarkt

For those considering Nurnberg next December: we stayed two nites at the Hotel Drei Raben, which we absolutely loved. Very stylish, small hotel, terrific breakfast, good service, nice room. Walking distance from the train station and short walk to the Christkindlmarkts. We found it less crowded than Munich, probably because we were there Tues til Thurs. Weekends at these markets are crazy, but I too like them at nite with the lights etc. Serious shopping is better done earlier in the day.

We also easily took trains for a day trip to Rothenburg, where the Christmas market is very touristy and crowded, but the history of this medieval town is so interesting. Wouldn't stay overnite there though.

I'd love to return to Nurnberg when it's warmer (I'm from southern California).

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel near Christkindlemarkt

My wife and I have flown over for long weekends to experience the German Christmas markets...Here's our biased take on them...First off, we enjoyed the Nurenburg Christmas market. Sure, it was crowded, but the food, drink, items for sale were awesome. We also loved going to Bar Fusser for a keg of beer and sampling of local sausages, etc. We stay at the Movenpick out by the airport. We fly right in there, check into the hotel across the street, and then hit the S bahn (complimentary tickets given by the hotel) to the downtown. We arrive on Friday afternoon. On Saturday we rent a car out by the airport and head off to Rothenburg for their market. Once again, this is very crowded. I'd suggest staying and going on the nightwatchman tour at dusk. We also hit the Dinkelsbuhl Christmas market as well...less crowded, more intimate. The next morning, we have breakfast, walk across the street and catch our flight back to the States. It's amazing what you can pack into a weekend. Last December we went to COlogne and stayed at the Marriott. Great location, fun town. On Saturday we took the train to Essen. This was a HUGE Christmas market. We were there for four hours, and we still didn't see everything. Okay, I'm rambling here, but for Christmas we fly to Munich, stay at the either the Marriott or the Renaissance (straight shot off the A-9) and go down to the Marienplatz for their market. This year we got a rate of 69 Euros at the Renaissance which included a HUGE breakfast. The S-bahn is 100 meters away and in five stops you're right at the market. The all day pass for up to five persons is 9.20 Euros. After our Christmas market shopping we walk over to the Hofbrauhaus for some great beer and entertainment. After that we head down to Seefeld, Austria, for Christmas. Salzburg, Austria, is awesome on the weekend of December 6. That's when Krampus roams the streets, whipping naughty children and adults with horse tails. It's quite the experience. It's about a forty five minute drive from Munich. Okay, I've rambled enough. If you have any questions, just PM me.

jdmckay

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel near Christkindlemarkt

We are planning a trip to Nuremberg next December 11th to 22nd. I have this fear of seeing 'made in china' on the bottom of the Christmas goods to be purchased. Are my fears unfounded?

Neuschwanstien is open then but does anyone know if it is practical to vist?

Obviously it will be cold, any tips on dress?

Any tips generally?

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel near Christkindlemarkt

Actually, it usually isn't that cold. upper 30's during the day, mid to upper 20's at night. Occasional snow/rain can be expected. Be sure to bring an umbrella. The castle is a ways away. I would pass on the tour of the castle. Just go there and walk up the road to the castle. Be sure to go to the bridge Marienbruke (sp?) for the best views back on the castle and waterfall. Parking is 4 Euros (free after 3:00 I believe...however, it gets dark over there by 4:30.). You'll find plenty of authentic German made products. China hasn't reared its ugly head there yet. The food is fantastic. The nurnburger sausages are a personal favorite.

If you need any more information, let me know. We've done the Nurenburg market on 3 separate occasions.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel near Christkindlemarkt

My family and I have a trip to Germany (our first) planned the end of November 2008 into December. Thank you all for the wonderful detailed information you have posted on this forum. We are looking forward to visiting the Christmas markets, and experiencing the excitement. Stuttgart is on our list of places we will be spending some time. I'm Looking forward to exploring my heritage and enjoying the people, places, food, culture and hustle-bustle of the markets.

Thanks to all who have posted these very helpful tid-bits.