We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bamberg or Rothenberg ??. Day trip from Nuremberg

Rossendale
Level Contributor
43 posts
38 reviews
Bamberg or Rothenberg ??. Day trip from Nuremberg

hi everyone. self and wife have 3 nights in Nuremberg just after christmas. obviously a large portion of that time will be spent seeing Nuremberg but we wanted to take a train ride elsewhere (not Munich - that comes later). So.......... which is our best bet for a day wandering the streets,having lunch, sampling the atmosphere ? Rothenberg or Bamberg. Research indicates both to be pretty nice but we only have one day to devote.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Bamberg or Rothenberg ??. Day trip from Nuremberg

Rothenberg? Near Darmstadt? Or perhaps you mean Rothenburg Ob der Tauber, the walled town south of Wuerzburg? Those spellings can get you a totally different city and/or itinerary!

I would choose Bamberg in any case. It would be a pleasant drive for a one-day trip. It's a real city, not a museum piece like Rothenburg, with a lovely and well-preserved Altstadt. If you have the time, you could return via Wuerzburg (also very interesting for its castle and Residenz) for a circle trip through the Franconian region on the way back to Nuremberg. That said, Rothenburg is very pretty in the Christmas season.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,679 posts
2. Re: Bamberg or Rothenberg ??. Day trip from Nuremberg

Both towns are worthwhile destinations. Both are also inside the VGN local public transport network of the Greater Nuremberg region. You can travel to them cheap on a VGN TagesTicket Plus. A day ticket for EUR 14,70 covering all local public transport inside the VGN network and good for up to 6 persons traveling together. Albeit only 2 of these persons must be 18 years old or older.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Small medieval town, completely walled, touristic. For the size of the town it has quite a number of sights and museums (in medieval terms Rothenburg is rather a mid sized city, not a small town).

Bamberg

The city with the most listed buildings in Germany. UNESCO world heritage.

Both towns have their fans which prefer one over the other. For "beginners" I recommend Rothenburg.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Bamberg or Rothenberg ??. Day trip from Nuremberg

Both towns are very nice. We stayed in both in December 2008.

The Altstadt of Bamberg is a bit farther from the train station, a cab might be handy if your time is short. We especially liked just walking the old town and visiting the cathedral. It helps to read a bit about the cathedral in advance to understand who is buried there and their importance. Our pictures of that winter in Bamberg.

…smugmug.com/Germany-2008/…6785879_WWuYE

Rothenburg was more appealing to us and it gets more tourists for it. Just after Christmas I do not think that will be a problem. The city streets and views are the main attractions in my mind. Try to get out to the garden and look back at the city walls. See Riemenschneider's altar in St. Jakob's. These are our pictures in 2008 and 2010. There was a lot of snow this year, which made it more scenic.

…smugmug.com/Germany-2008/…6787052_w2d22

…smugmug.com/Advent-2010/…15010043_U5wQy

This is one of those cases that you can not lose with either choice.

Regards, Gary

Edited: 4:10 pm, December 19, 2010
Rossendale
Level Contributor
43 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Bamberg or Rothenberg ??. Day trip from Nuremberg

Thank you very much to those who replied above. Actually you made my choice above even harder now - like the soccer manager who has all his star strikers fit and ready to go ! you have whet my appetite big-time ..........didnt know RothenbUrg was on the VGN system that was useful news.

dear Linnmac , thank you for figuring out I meant Rothenburg ob der tauber and not the town near the Rhine (on a day trip from Nuremberg ??), where would we all be without your wisdom ?? do you really think they will let me drive the train, that would be special .

Garv

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Bamberg or Rothenberg ??. Day trip from Nuremberg

sorry--I should have picked up on the train, not car, part of your post, especially since i am a total train fan for travel in Germany and the rest of Europe, where possible...that said, every change in in a letter, especially between "burg" and "berg'-- will often give you alternative destinations in Germany. When booking a train ticket online, this could give one a few surprises...

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Bamberg or Rothenberg ??. Day trip from Nuremberg

btw--Bamberg is about 45 min. from station to station from Nuremberg, and without having to change trains. Rothenburg is about an hour and 15 min, but with at least one change. But as mentioned above, the Bamberg train station would require a short cab ride to the picturesque part of town. It's walkable, too, but not so pleasant in bad winter weather. Not sure where the Rothenburg station is located as I arrived there by bus, which stopped right at the city gates.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
144 reviews
7. Re: Bamberg or Rothenberg ??. Day trip from Nuremberg

Hi Garv,

I cannot compare the two towns but we are in Nuremberg at the moment and went to Rothenberg Ob Den Tauer on Saturday. It was a fantastic day trip and the drive out was really easy (with GPS). Lots to see and do, although no one let me drive the train either.

Good luck

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Bamberg or Rothenberg ??. Day trip from Nuremberg

I had been thinking about those two choices, and remembering that much of the interesting part of Bamberg's Altstadt is on rather steep uphill grade, more difficult to navigate if it is wet or icy, I might change my opinion and suggest Rothenburg OBT at this time of year, though I love Bamberg.

With the weather my German relatives and friends have been reporting, Rothenburg could be the more comfortable choice, as well as being so beautiful at Christmas time.

9. Re: Bamberg or Rothenberg ??. Day trip from Nuremberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 19, 2011