We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip through nuremberg - what to do?

Singapore
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
day trip through nuremberg - what to do?

My flight into Munich at 9pm has met with some unexpected last minute changes due to the airline, so I'll be flying into Frankfurt at 6am instead.

I was thinking of taking the extra time I have to visit Nuremberg, so I'm here to seek advice :)

Firstly, and most importantly, I'll be carrying two pieces of luggage (one of which I will be passing to a friend whom I'll meet the next day!) - I'd like to know where there would be a locker service in Nuremberg that I can leave my luggage in? Do all train stations have lockers for tourists?

Secondly, any tips on the must-do's? Preferably quirky things? By the way, I'm not much of a history junkie :x

Sleepy Bavarian...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip through nuremberg - what to do?

You can search for trains at www.bahn.de

The ICE will be the fastest, but a bit more expensive. It'll take you from the Frankfurt Flughafen to Nurnberg Hbf in just under two and a half hours and costs 49 Euro.

Once in Nurnberg, there is an excellent walking district with tons of shopping and restaurants. The view from the castle tower is great. The walk up to the castle is uphill and you'll have to pay an entrance fee to go up the tower, but it really is nice up there. The Nurnberg Zoo is another stop that comes to mind. You can catch the strassenbahn from the Hbf and it takes you right to the zoo.

The Hbf has many lockers of various sizes that you can rent for the day.

Hope this helps you.

Singapore
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip through nuremberg - what to do?

I'm getting a rail pass, so I assume all train rides will be covered? :)

Thanks for the tips! Btw, would you say if it's better to spend time in the Nuremberg zoo or the Stuttgart one?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip through nuremberg - what to do?

Wilhelma ( www.wilhelma.de ) is Europe's largest combination zoo-botanical garden set amidst the nice Moorish architecture of this former palace. It is the second most visited zoo in Germany after one of the ones in Berlin. I try to visit it at least three times a week and never get tired of the plants, animals, and excellent Moorish architecture.

It has an orphanage for gorilla babies from all over Europe that have been rejected by their mothers. Currently there are two very young babies and lots of older ones, and the staff socialize and interact with them. Wilbär, Germany's newest polar bear cub, is in residence with his mother.

Animals are mammals, fish, amphibians, reptiles, lots of birds, and insects. The wild animals at the zoo are quite interesting too, the heron rookery, storks, and a large flock of wild parrots among others.

The plants are interesting too. There is a grove of sequoias, the Amazon House with plants and animals from this region, cactus, tree ferns, the recently discovered Jurassic tree from Australia, etc. The world's largest flower, a Titanwurst, recently bloomed. The flower itself was almost 3 meters high.

No matter what the season or weather, it's an enjoyable place to visit, a pleasant mixture of plants, animals and architecture.

Singapore
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip through nuremberg - what to do?

I assume your vote's for Stuttgart then, Marco ;)

Okay, so my plan now is to take the morning train in, walk over to the Verkehrsmuseum, up to the Hauptmarkt for lunch, then onwards to Kaiserburg before heading back to the Hauptbahnohf and onwards to Augsburg.

Any tips on how to get from place to place? The Hauptmarkt looks like it's over a kilometre away from the Verkehrsmuseum, is there a bus I can take?

How about a bus back from the Kaiserburg to the train station?

Thanks again :D

5. Re: day trip through nuremberg - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, October 10, 2009