We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuremberg with Small Children

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manistee, Michigan
4 posts
Save Topic
Nuremberg with Small Children

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to Germany the 27th of this month to visit my daughter and 2 young grandchildren (ages 1 1/2 and 3) I'll be there for 28 days. I'll be flying into Nuremberg, they live in Grafenwoehr. I know there is a large zoo in Nuremberg...is there anything else that would be fun for 2 small boys? Is the zoo too big to see everything in 1 day? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Marie

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuremberg with Small Children

The Playmobil Fun Park in Zirndorf - I haven't been myself but friends of mine who live in the area went several times with their four little grandchildren. They said it was great for everyone, also well organized (next to the water playground, for example, they have put up dryers because the kid's clothes will become wet for sure).

The zoo in Nürnberg should be doable in 1 day - depends on the littlies. If they go on strike after an hour you won't make it, but under normal circumstances you should be able to see the whole zoo in less than one day.

Zoo website: http://www.tiergarten.nuernberg.de

Check the hours when the baby polar bear is out: http://www.nuernberg.de/internet/polarbear/

Then there is the castle in Nürnberg - show me a little boy who isn't thrilled by the idea of being a knight...

Manistee, Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuremberg with Small Children

Thank you for the information...I'm sure both boys will love the Playmobile Fun Park and the 3 year old will enjoy the castle. I'm not sure who will enjoy the zoo more, me or the boys :)

Germany
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuremberg with Small Children

Hello,

there are also two museums that might be interesting for you:

- the toy museum

www.museen.nuernberg.de/

english/english/spielzeug_e/index_spielzeug_e.html

- and (not sure about this one because I havn't been there)

the railway museum:

www.db.de/site/bahn/

en/db__group/db__museum/db__museum.html

Manistee, Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuremberg with Small Children

Thank You, Suzanne. The museums do sound like a good idea. Would you recommed getting a hotel in Nuremberg or driving back & forth to Grafenwoehr? It sounds like Nuremberg is a city that will take more than a day to explore. Can you recommed any local (not too expensive) hotels either in Nuremberg or close by?

Again...thank you & any information would be appreciated.

Marie

Germany
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nuremberg with Small Children

Hello Marie,

Grafenwöhr is not that close to Nuremberg, therefore I would recommend to stay at a hotel in Nuremberg for at least 2 or 3 nights if possible. I havn't stayed at a hotel there but I think the following are pretty good (some are more simple), not too expensive and close to the Old Town or within the Old Town:

NH Nürnberg-City

Loew's Merkur

Holiday Inn City Center (the location might not be okay for the kids)

Agneshof

Am Heideloffplatz

Drei Raben

Dürer Hotel

Victoria

Am Jakobsmarkt

Am Josephsplatz

Avenue

Steichele

Marienbad

Burghotel Großes Haus

Merian (with a good restaurant)

Ibis City

Burghotel Stammhaus

I think you can find reviews of most of these hotels here on tripadvisor.

Because you stay quite a while in Germany I also recommend to visit some other places that are not very far from Grafenwöhr, e.g. Regensburg, Würzburg, Bamberg and Coburg. Actually Regensburg is one of my favorite cities in Germany.

Manistee, Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nuremberg with Small Children

Susanne,

Thanks again for all the information. I have forwarded all the info on to my daughter. Only 9 more days until I leave and I am looking forward to seeing some of your beauiful country.

Marie

7. Re: Nuremberg with Small Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, September 28, 2009