We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weiler day trip

Which Nuremberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
weiler day trip

I will be in Munich in late May and would like to take a day trip to Weiler to see my family's ancestral home. Any suggestions? Esp.for transportation to and from.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: weiler day trip

Weiler is just the German word for hamlet.

And there are a number of places called "Weiler".

There is e.g. a Weiler im Allgäu (near Lindau)

weiler-simmerberg.de/pdf/…ortsplanweiler1.pdf

Do you have any further information about your "Weiler"?

East Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weiler day trip

The family genealogy I have describes it as "south of Rosstal and a little east of Neuendetalsau". I understood it as being a farming community.

Thanks for the tip on its translation!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,149 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: weiler day trip

Than it's the hamlet Weiler which belongs to the community of Rohr in Mittelfranken (Middle Franconia). Approx. 20 km south-west of Nuremberg.

VGN timetable

www.vgn.de/komfortauskunft/auskunft/…

departure point

town: Nuernberg

stop: Hauptbahnhof

destination

town: Rohr

stop: Weiler (b. Rohr)

DB timetable

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?

To: Nuernberg

To: Rosstal

To: Schwabach

Roßtal (~ 10 km) and Schwabach (~ 15 km ) are the closest train stations.

ICE trains Munich to Nuremberg are fast (up to 300 kph) but also expensive. Cheaper is to use regional trains (which run at least on the Munich to Nuremberg route also with up to 200 kph). And to start a weekday past 9am. Sa or Su you can start before 9am. Than you can use the Bavaria Ticket Single (EUR 19,00). Would cover the complete trip incl. buses. Apart from the AST/demandbuses where you have to pay a surcharge. If you like to use the Bavaria Ticket select as means of transport "only local transport".

4. Re: weiler day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, September 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Nuremberg