We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuremberg Christmas market

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nuremberg Christmas market

We'll be in Germany for the holidays and my partner would love to visit the Nuremberg Christmas market. Are there any days that are particularly suited for visits, any days to avoid because the market is closed or too crowded? Mind you, we basically only have a few days after our arrival in Germany to visit and are thinking about Dec. 22.

Any ideas or tips?

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuremberg Christmas market

We will be there the same time. Taking a river cruise to Vienna. Wondering what other sights might be worth some time in Nuremberg.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Germany
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuremberg Christmas market

The market is always very overcrowded, but you should avoid to be there during a weekend. Usually it's not that overcrowded in the morning and early afternoon.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuremberg Christmas market

We visited last year.

There will fewer people on weekdays until around 15:00. It will be elbow to elbow after 17:00 on weekdays and 12:00 on weekends.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuremberg Christmas market

I must admit that I find the markets rather boring in the morning, even with light traffic. The magic of the Christkindlmarkt only seems to work on me in the evening. The crisp night air, the Christmas lighting, a Glühwein, a Bratwürst and the market are part of a package deal to my tastes.

There is a perhaps a reason that the crowds are lighter during the day.

Regards, Gary

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nuremberg Christmas market

I agree completely with Trikist on this. The fun and magic of a Christmas market is in the evening with lights and plenty of people. However, that is not the time to buy anything. That should be done in the morning when the market first opens and there is hardly anyone there and you can take time to examine closely and quickly what is on sale. You can cover a very large Christmas market like Stuttgart's in an hour then, whereas in the evening it could possibly take you that long to go from one end to the other through the gridlock.

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nuremberg Christmas market

If you haven't been to the web page yet, you may wish to visit the Nuremberg Christmas Market webpage at http://www.christkindlesmarkt.de/english/

Mentioned in this post
Nuremberg Christmas Market
Nuremberg Christmas...
389 Reviews
Nuremberg, Germany
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nuremberg Christmas market

Thank you all - I figured it would be crowded. We are really only going for the atmosphere and not to buy anything. My wife grew up in Germany and went back last year for the first time in over 20 years. I myself have been to the Nuremberg market but that was more than 30 years ago. We are very excited even though we only have about ten days in Germany...

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
8. Re: Nuremberg Christmas market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Nuremberg