We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Old Town

Batemans Bay
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Hotel in Old Town

We are hoping to spend a couple of nights in Nuremberg in early December, mainly for the Christmas Markets, and would like to stay in a mid priced hotel in very close proximity to these markets, preferably in the Old Town, could anyone advise any hotels, also any other hints on things to do and see at this time of year would be super.

Thank you

Surfbeach

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Hotel in Old Town

We visited Nürnberg this summer and lived near there some years ago.

Hotel: We stayed at the Hotel Ibis Marientor. It was recently remodeled. It had a good breakfast with variety. It was a block off the pedestrian zone, very near the train station, and maybe 10 minutes walk from where the Christmas Market is held in the Hauptmarkt (also in the pedestrian zone). The price was reasonable.

When we lived in the area, our favorite thing to do near Christmas time was to have Bratwursts on a roll and Glühwein (hot spiced wine) from the stands near the St. Lorenzkirche (St. Lorenz Church). Bratwursts and wine in hand we would stroll through the extensive shopping area and Christmas Market. There is nothing like hot wine to warm one against the cold.

Particular tourist sights in town that we enjoyed were:

Three gothic churches: St. Lorenzekirche, Frauenkirche, and St. Sebalduskirche.

The Kaiserburg Castle.

The Germanishes Nationalmuseum.

Regards, Gary

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Hotel in Old Town

I have noticed, that there is still no mention of the City-Museum "Fembohaus" anywhere in the Nuremberg-forum.

So I recommend a visit there to anybody who wishes to understand a little of the history of Nuremberg. A better insight than I could provide with bad English, you get on the web-site:

…nuernberg.de/english/…index_fembo_e.html

At least, have a look into the "topics" and us the links on top of that page for the most general overview.

Apart from the permanent exposition, there use to be special expositions and shows, which may last for a few weeks only.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Hotel in Old Town

Monsterslayer,

Thank you for the recommendation and website for the City-Museum "Fembohaus". My wife and I are thinking of returning to Nürnberg in Christmas Season 2008. We like history museums.

Regards, Gary

Toowoomba
3 posts
4. Re: Hotel in Old Town

My family went to Nuremberg a couple of years ago to visit the Christmas Markets. The only hotel I could find in the Old Town was a small hotel called the Hotel Schonen Brunnen. The Christmas markets are at your doorstep. The breakfast room has a large window overlooking the Markets. It is perfect. There were even Christmas Decorations in the rooms. It is not five star, but it is certainly adequate and you won't get a better location. They send me a Chrismas email every year which brings back happy memories. I hope to one day go a spend a month there over the Christmas Period. We visited Christmas Markets all over Germany and Austria and this was certainly the hightlight.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Hotel in Old Town

We went to Nuremberg for the Christmas markets last year and stayed at the Hotel Agneshof. It was a lovely hotel and very convenient for the markets and the castle. It is next door to a traditional German restaurant which serves enormous portions and was very atmospheric. I will be returning to Nuremberg this christmas but with my husband and other daughter as well and as Hotel Agneshof cannot accommodate the four of us in a room, we are booking Hotel Romantik am Josephsplatz.

6. Re: Hotel in Old Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 07, 2009