We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport help tips please

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport help tips please

Greetings!

I am Going to the Pink concert in Coburg - flying over from the Uk. I have flights booked but would like more information on the trains :O)

There are 2 adults in my group - both have student ID I don't know if that could give us discounts on the trains?

Here is our travel plans:

2nd class is fine.

15.08.07 arriving off a BA flight at Frankfurt airport at 16.35 so leaving Frankfurt airport to get a train to Nuremberg where we will stay for 2 nights leaving Nuremberg for Coburg on the 17.08.07 around lunchtime Staying in Coburg for 2 nights then leaving Coburg to Munich on the 19.08/07 all by train I have looked on line at the individual prices in euros I was wondering if there any better deals than buying each trip individually online before we go?

I have all the timetables just the fares I need help on!

I would most welcome any help on this issue and any deals that could save us some money on the trains :O)

Also anyone any idea is there is an underground/train stop near the Hilton in Nuremberg ? Or what a taxi would cost roughly from Nuremberg main station to the Hilton?

Cheers!

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport help tips please

For travel from Nürnberg to Coburg and from Coburg to Munich you would save money using the group [2 to 5] Bayern Ticket which costs 27 € from a ticket machine. This ticket is only valid in 2nd class on IRE, RE or RB trains after 9 AM on weekdays [any time on weekends] until 3 AM the next morning.

www.bayern-takt.de/public_main_modul.php…

For schedules of regional trains, at the DB website, change ‘Means of transport’ to ‘only local transport’

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

In Munich the MVV has a group [2 to 5] Partner-Tageskarte [group day ticket]. The all zones ticket is valid to the airport and costs 18 €.

Germany
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport help tips please

Unfortunaltely, there is no underground station near the Hilton, but you can take the "S-Bahn" from the main station: S2 to Altdorf that you have to leave at "Frankenstadion" (300 meters walking from there).

Or you can take the bus number 44 that you have to leave at "Sportanlage 1.FCN" that is very close to the hotel.

I suppose a taxi from the main station to the hotel might be about 10 Euros.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport help tips please

> There are 2 adults in my group -

And how big is the group in total?

From 6 persons on you can buy group tickets.

bahn.de/p/…price_familiy_group.shtml

But this cannot be done online, best would be to contact the DB UK booking centre on this.

http://www.bahn.co.uk

> both have student ID I don't know if that could give us discounts on the trains?

No.

The already mentioned Bavaria Ticket would be also an option to save money on the Frankfurt to Nuremberg trip.

Normal tickets to Kahl - the first stop in Bavaria. From there on the Bavaria-Ticket to Nuremberg.

The Bavaria-Ticket does also cover all local public transport in Nuremberg and Munich (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams, buses).

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport help tips please

Excellent!

Many thanks to you all that took the time and effort to reply. This information has been most helpful. Got it printed out and in my travel pack. Cheers

:O)

5. Re: Public transport help tips please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 31, 2009