We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Blauer Bock vs Torbrau Munich Hotel

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
327 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Blauer Bock vs Torbrau Munich Hotel

I'm currently booked at the Blauer Bock, but I've since discovered the Torbrau Hotel. They both seem to be centrally located in the Alstadt area. I know there is a price difference.

Ignoring the price difference, what will the hotel experience be like at the Torbrau as oppsed to the Blauer Bock? Will it make my 4 day stay much more pleasant staying in one or the other?

I appreciate any information.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Blauer Bock
Hotel Blauer Bock
1,076 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Hotel Laimer Hof
Hotel Laimer Hof
#1 of 395 hotels in Munich
Hotel Kriemhild
Hotel Kriemhild
#3 of 395 hotels in Munich
Marc Munchen
Marc Munchen
#4 of 395 hotels in Munich
-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Blauer Bock vs Torbrau Munich Hotel

Timynatt.

Well, it's really impossible to ignore the price difference, Tobrau is 4* with some de-luxe touches. Obviousy, if they were priced the same most would favour Tobrau.

I don't know price of Torbrau but would imagine single room £150 - 200 EUR per night. Blauer Bock is only 60 Eur per night.

It depends on your requirements, how much time you stay in Hotel,

how important budget is etc.

I can tell you B.B. has the same size rooms as T. It has, IMO a better location, (but they are quite close) and is clean with satisfacory buffet breakfast. It's a good standard 3*. There is no T.V in your room or any coffee/tea facilities. It's basic, but for price and location the best in Munich.

if you want to dwell in your room, watch T.V. etc and have a more 'polished' surrounding then you pay triple the price. When I'm in Munich the hotel is for sleep and shower, nothing more so I'm happy with Blauer Bock.

Only you can tell.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Blauer Bock
Hotel Blauer Bock
1,076 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Blauer Bock vs Torbrau Munich Hotel

JCBARNES: Thanks for your reply. The price difference for us would be about 80 more Euro per night. From 105 at the BB to 185 at the T.

I really just wanted to know if the T, begin so great and wonderful, would indeed make my trip to Munich more enjoyable. We will be there in mid-March 2007. It's interesting to note that you said the BB has a better location than the T. I thought I had read where the T was closer to the train station and therefore possibly a slight advantage over the BB.

Anyway, thanks for your input. Any more ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Blauer Bock vs Torbrau Munich Hotel

I'll try and assist further....

I suppose it depends on the purpose of the trip and the company, if it's a romantic weekend then maybe spend more on the T.

People are so different. I'm lucky enough to afford 5* but rarely do so, simply satisfied I suppose, but I always think if I'm clean, have good service and excellent location the money saved on accommodation can be 'blown' on eating out, shopping etc. 4 nights that's 320 Euro. That's the cost of eating and drinking twice a day in some nice restaurants for 2 unless you want to go gourmet.

I'll be out all day, have lunch, sight-see. When tired sit at a pavement cafe or beer garden. Only use hotel to return and shower then rush out for drinks and dinner. Hotel to sleep, up early and out. Perhaps I'm just a penny pincher, but I have no use for frills if I hardly have time to enjoy them.

Regarding location, T is on the main road next to Isator station, good position and 5 mins walk to Marienplatz & station however,.

I would argue that B.B. is also only 5min walk to Marienplatz station, that's the central station and on the wonderful square. B.B.is also right next to Viktualienmarkt, the open market in a pedestrian area, a nice square. Small but wonderful beer garden and eating places.

Little cafes next to the Hotel, semi pedestrian. For me a much nicer area because of this local culture. Easy walk in other direction for shopping zones and to Sendligor Tor. Therefore I would not go for T as a superior location.

It's down to how much time you will spend in the hotel and your personal preference., I still can't advise not knowing you personally and repeat that B.B. is basic but room size, bed and shower the same as T. Imagine the T room without a T.V., plain wall paper and less expensive bed linen, that's basically what you get in B.B..

Hope this helps you decide what's best option.

Mentioned in this post
Marienplatz
Marienplatz
20,302 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Austin
Level Contributor
923 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Blauer Bock vs Torbrau Munich Hotel

I agree with JC Barnes.

We love the location across from the Viktualienmarkt and near Marianplatz. Better yet, there are four or five outdoor cafes to choose from on the Platz just outside the BB's door. The BB itself has a a few outdoor tables.

The rooms at the BB are indeed basic. Romantic, no. But we were delightfully surprised to find that the bathrooms were full sized. Also, we were happy to get a quiet room facing the courtyard.

Mentioned in this post
Viktualienmarkt
Viktualienmarkt
2,685 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Blauer Bock vs Torbrau Munich Hotel

Thanks to you both for valuable information.

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Blauer Bock vs Torbrau Munich Hotel

Send us a trip report on your return tmynatt.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Blauer Bock vs Torbrau Munich Hotel

Sure thing. Although it will be a while before March 2007 rolls around.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,709 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Blauer Bock vs Torbrau Munich Hotel

T is very nice- able to look along "im Tal" (main drag) over breakfast. Very nice people, very comfortable especially Junior Suite/Luxury Rooms BUT rooms at the back can be noisy due to restaurant bins being moved around in the wee small hours when they close up.

9. Re: Hotel Blauer Bock vs Torbrau Munich Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 26, 2009