We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from Munich to other points of interest

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middletown...
Level Contributor
26 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
traveling from Munich to other points of interest

I am planning a trip to Munich but would also like to visit surrounding areas and points of interest (Alps, Neuschwanstein Castle, Salzburgh etc) and I would like to know what is the most economical form of travel...bus, train, rental car. I have a very limited budget but want to see as much as possible. Any info would help.

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling from Munich to other points of interest

Have a look at

www.bayern-takt.de/public_main_modul.php…

www.bayern.by/portal/frontend.php…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling from Munich to other points of interest

Mae,

I've looked into the ticket Bill refers you to. It is a good bargain. I think it was 22E, but it is MUCH cheaper than buying individual tickets.

Also, if you're staying for a few days, get the Partner Welcome Card (or just the Welcome Card if you're going alone). It covers the underground, trams and buses for up to five people. It's 40+ Euro's (41 or 43 - cant remember, the single Welcome Card 20+E) but it's well worth it. Also, some attractions offer a discount for showing this Welcome Card. I'm on a limited budget too, and every Euro saved helps. If you go the Munich Tourism site, the information is there as well as a list of some places that offer the discount.

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling from Munich to other points of interest

The Bayern ticket for one person is 17 Euros.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling from Munich to other points of interest

Where do you buy the Bayern-Takt? Can you purchase several in advance for several days of train trasvel in Bavaria Does the card need to be validated?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,155 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling from Munich to other points of interest

Bayern Takt ~ Bavaria Puls

A timing program to offer hourly - or at least 2-hourly train service - wherever possible.

Will cost you a couple of hundred million Euro ;-)

What you're looking for is the Bayern-Ticket or Bavaria-Ticket.

Best: ticket machines in railway stations or U-Bahn or tram stops. Most can be switched to English. The red/grey ones with touch screen of DB also accept credit cards.

Also:

- DB travel centres (in bigger railway stations) or DB agencies. Will come with a service charge of EUR 2,00.

- DB call center. Also with the EUR 2,00 service charge. Not the best idea from abroad as to call their special phone number is not cheap.

- Online. No service charge. Shipping is free.

https:/…

But the pages are in German only.

- From the conductor - in special cases. E.g. if you travel from the Czech Republic on board of a train into Bavaria. Service charge is EUR 3,00. But note: you must not enter local trains wich have no conductor (esp. S-Bahn, but also Vogtlandbahn from Cheb) without a valid ticket!

Bavaria-Tickets bought from ticket machines are valid for the day of purchase. Just buy your ticket before starting your trip. Buying in advance - as this is more expensive (exception online) - makes only sense if you enter Bavaria on board of a (local) train.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling from Munich to other points of interest

As you want to visit mainly rural areas, I think that a car is best to see things, and at your own pace, not that of public transportation. You can also stop wherever you want when you see something that interests you. It may be more expensive than public transportation, but then more things are acessable to you. It's really up to you if you will maximize the use of the car, or whether trains would be more suitable.