We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

Montreal, Canada
10 posts
Save Topic
MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

I understand there is TWO TRAINS to choose from to go to the city centre from Munich airport.

Which one is the fastest, cheapest, best to take? (We arrive in the winter, morning of December the 24th).

We will arrive from Toronto and will then only be one afternoon and evening in Munich. The idea is to get to the hotel in the city; rest an hour or two; and then see something of Munich that late afternoon and evening.

Which also makes me wonder in WHICH AREA of Munich's city to stay? We want to see something of the city, and it will be good to be in the old part, but where is it located?

Ideally a fast train to downtown, and then get a hotel easy walking distance at the downtown station where we arrive from the airport, that is also a good area to WALK AROUND and see the old parts. But where to go?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. (We're not young anymore, so a safe and walkable TOURIST LOCATION will be best, as we don't have time to travel more on subways when we're there - only have a few hours for sight-seeing!).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,583 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

Makes no difference, get the first one

tripadvisor.com.au/…60589469

Montreal, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

Thanks. Travel time down town? Any advice re where to stay re area, etc?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

Just take the first one that's ready to depart. One is the S1, the other one the S8, and one enters center Munich from the East, the other one from the West.

Check out the travel times on www.mvv-muenchen.de and you'll find that if you take the "wrong" S-Bahn, it might take you about 5 or 6 minutes longer to get where you want. However, you'd have to wait 10 minutes for the "right" S-Bahn. So actually, the first one that's ready to depart is always the right choice if you're going anywhere between Laim and Ostbahnhof.

Travel time is about 45 minutes.

Hotel: What's your budget? Check out www.hotel.de or www.hrs.de set your budget and have the hotels displayed on a map. There are some near Marienplatz, some at Rosenheimer Platz, some near Hauptbahnhof. These would all be good locations, but Hauptbahnhof is not so nice. It's central, though, and I don't think it's unsafe. It's just a place where you won't enjoy the last five minutes walk until you've reached your hotel.

Why so rushed, btw? Only a few hours to spend in Munich?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,192 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

Here is a map of the network

mvv-muenchen.de/fileadmin/media/Dateien/plae…

If going to Marienplatz the S8 is a little quicker.

Montreal, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

Thanks, is there not a quicker way to get downtown that the 45 min subway?

Is Marienplatz or Rosenheimerplatz the nicest for a tourist ?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

There is no quicker way. All road transport is dependent on traffic and takes longer than the commuter train.

Marienplatz is the heart of the town, so the closer you are, the more you are in the middle of action. Rosenheimerplatz has a fast and frequent underground connection to the centre and there is nothing wrong with that location either.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

The airport is located 60km from the city, so no, there is no quicker way except if you charter a helicopter.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

I second Rosenheimperplatz.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,192 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

"is there not a quicker way to get downtown that the 45 min subway?"

Nope, and that is good actually. Actually many cities take that long to get to the downtown section of the city.

Kansas
Level Contributor
619 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MUNICH AIRPORT - which train to take to the city?

I am in the process of planning for our similar scenario in which I added an overnight stop to allow a quick look at Munich. Our plane from the U.S. arrives mid morning and we will have until the next afternoon before our next flight. We actually chose to stay at the Kempinski hotel that is located right at the airport between the two terminals. I will purchase our 21,30 euro Partner -Airport-City Day Ticket (covers both of us) online (as soon as that date is available to purchase) which will cover all transportation for our entire day of arrival until 06:00 the next day. We have made arrangements to drop our luggage at the hotel desk, jump on the S-1 or S-8 whichever we see first, and proceed into Munich. I have received tremendous assistance on this forum for routing & transportation requirements to allow us to be efficient with our time and energy. We are going to visit the Hirschgarten Biergarten for lunch, browse the greenhouses at the Botanischer Garten, hop back on Tram 17 to Hauptbahnhof Nord to switch to s-bahn to Marienplatz in time to see the 17:00 Glockenspiel performance and enjoy some dinner and sightseeing before returning late evening to our hotel. The next day we may sleep in or spend time in the spa before a leisurely stroll to board our plane.

Enjoy your trip!