We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Munich?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy Munich?

Hello,

I'm heading to Munich on Thursday and I've just looked up the weather forecast for the four nights that I am there and it seems to be a whole lot of rain (hopefully it's wrong). What is there to do around Munich in the rain?

Thanks,

Simone

Stockport England
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy Munich?

Beer halls

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy Munich?

The current heat wave may end on Thursday with thunderstorms. However a weather condition which is difficult to predict. The thunderstorms will bring however not a lot of rain. Forecasted are so 7-20 l per square meter. On a rainy day in June in Munich it can pour down 50-100 l per square meter.

With the amount of rain forecasted for the following days this will be no more than one or a few showers of a few minutes.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,862 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy Munich?

If it is raining then Beer Halls and Museums. I think any place you go in Europe or anywhere that has museums if you are interested in the city you have to plan your days accordingly as such in case of rain.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy Munich?

If it's really raining a lot: Visit Deutsches Museum (S-Bahn Isartor) where you can easily spend a whole day without getting bored.

You could also go swimming, e.g. Müllersches Volksbad somewhere in the city center, for its beautiful decoration, or Olympiabad (U-Bahn Olympiazentrum, then it's a 5-10 minute walk through Olympiapark), which is where the Olympic Games took place. No frills, but you can actually swim quite well there.

Or you could go shopping, my preferred mall is the "Olympia-Einkaufszentrum" (OEZ), and there now is a U-Bahn stop with the same name to take you there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy Munich?

This makes me feel a bit better, I'm not too good at coping in the heat and as long as it's not raining all day every day then I'm sure I can keep myself busy :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,862 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy Munich?

Looking at the forecast and for Thursday it is 80% chance of rain, 0% Friday, 20% Sat and 10% Sunday. So now it becomes even better to see the city.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy Munich?

YES!

I am planning to do Mike's bike castle tour on Friday so that makes me very happy :)

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainy Munich?

Don't worry about rain. Forecasts weren't really designed for munich weather,

As in,

The rain has a brilliant habit of coming in the evening if it's a thunder shower which is mostly the case in summer.

This means you may have the morning and afternoon rain free and then a refreshing shower in the evening, maybe lasting late into the night, but luckily gone by the time you wake up.

The rainfall stats show that in summer there's as much rain and nearly as many rainy days as Dublin (which is quite wet) but the timing of the rain is key in munichs favour.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rainy Munich?

Ahh right thanks:)

I feel better about it because I'm more likely to be out and about in the day.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rainy Munich?

no probs.

Last night was another case in point.

3am all hell broke loose with wind and whatnot threatening to pour down. It actually didnt but its the timing thats interesting to note, and it was refreshingly cool this morning. (22 degrees which would be considered a heatwave at home in Ireland, but anyhow....)

And again today, its due to rain in the evening and I have the car parked by the childcare place in case its needed later, but its glorious now.