We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying near airport for Munich destination-less expensive?

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
staying near airport for Munich destination-less expensive?

We are flying into MUC late on a Saturday nite, and ultimately want to spend a couple of days sightseeing in Munich as well as a few more days in Bavaria then back to MUC for early, early flight. Hotels in Munich city center during our stay are outrageously expensive (must be convention time of year) so we are able to tsay in Freising. Is this reasonable and a quaint town to be able to connect to see Munich sites and English garden. We are at a loss as to where to stay to minimize alot of changing of hotels. Looks like 40 minutes to town, just about the maximum we would like to travel, but any suggestions or validations would be appreciated.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying near airport for Munich destination-less expensive?

Freising is nothing special. I would never call it "quaint". However, you can easily take the train into Munich to the Main Station and see the sights of Munich by walking from there.

However, you mention spending more time in Bavaria. Where, specifically, are you planning to do that. Which direction from Munich? That could also make a difference in where to stay (aside from Freising).

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: staying near airport for Munich destination-less expensive?

Hi,

in case you fly end of September, it is the Octoberfest that makes prices high. Freising might not be that quaint, but it has way more to offer than the average suburb and a lovely city centre. And Freising is certainly more authentic than Munich. Instead of the S - Bahn you can also take any other train to Munich with the same ticket, which makes your journey to Munich a bit faster.

It depends a bit, what you want to see in Bavaria, if you want to see the Alps, you could also have a look at cities South or East of Munich. Other options would be Dachau (closer to Munich), Starnberg (closer to the Alps) or even Augsburg.

Holger

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,601 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying near airport for Munich destination-less expensive?

Freising is a nice town, but I agree that you should take your other plans into account when choosing where to stay outside of Munich. Freising is on the north side of the city, so if your other plans are to the south, it might not be so convenient.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying near airport for Munich destination-less expensive?

Well, if the situation is like this, I would not try to minimize the change of hotels, but your travel time to Munich. If you stay in Freising, take a commuter train to Munich, not the S-Bahn. To find one, go to www.bahn.de and search for a train from Freising to Munich, check "local transport only" in the bottom right corner. You can then use the train with your MVV ticket. Even so, I found the trip from Freising to Munich a bit lengthy. (I went there to explore the city ... that was two years ago, and I haven't been there since.)

Dachau is another option, but I don't know what kind of hotels they have. And for what price. Check it out.

Maybe you could even try Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm. It's no longer in the MVV area, so you'd need an extra ticket each time you go to Munich. But your travel time to Munich, if you take the fastest of the local trains, would be no more than 30 minutes. And I would think that hotels there would be considerably less expensive than those in Munich, if there is a trade fair, because most people would not think of staying that far out of town. ... It's a nice little town, and it was recently voted the most attractive small town in Bavaria by a Chinese committee. Well, I don't know if they've ever been there - but it's not a bad place.

Another option would be to look somewhere south of Munich. But travel times are longer, for instance, it takes an hour to get to Munich from Tegernsee.

What you can do: Search for a hotel on www.hrs.de and choose that you're looking for a hotel that is in Munich or up to 70 km from Munich. You'd also have to set a price limit. Then, have the hotels displayed on a map, think about whether you'd want to stay there at all, and if it is an option, check out the connection by public transport.

That's how I found a hotel near Frankfurt a.M. for the time of the book fair, and I had only started looking a week before the book fair. The hotel was somewhere in a little town between Frankfurt and Wiesbaden, it took me about 25 minutes to get there by S-Bahn and another 25 minutes to walk from the S-Bahn stop to the hotel. I paid EUR 40 per night, and the hotel was alright.

Edited: 2:24 am, May 03, 2014
5. Re: staying near airport for Munich destination-less expensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 05, 2015