We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrading on Rail Jet from First to Business

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Upgrading on Rail Jet from First to Business

Booked the Rail Jet out of Munich on Bahn.de. I was given the two usual options-- 1st & 2nd. I booked 1st only to find out later that 1st is a mid class and that Business is what used to be Premier. Does anyone know if I can upgrade this ticket in advance or do I have to wait until I get to Munich.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrading on Rail Jet from First to Business

>>that 1st is a mid class <<

First is not mid-class, whatever you meant by that.

Here is a walkthrough of the 1st class

360cities.net/image/…70.0

As far as I know, upgrade is only available at the counter.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrading on Rail Jet from First to Business

Thank you for getting back to me.

On Rail Jet First is the class of service between Economy and Business (which used to be Premier). That is what I meant by mid-class.

I have since found out that one can only upgrade online if tickets are purchased from Austrian rail.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrading on Rail Jet from First to Business

Rail Jet is serviced by ÖBB, you can probably upgrate by booking via their website (and cancel with Bahn.de)

Edited: 9:05 am, April 21, 2014
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,552 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrading on Rail Jet from First to Business

Business class costs a surcharge of EUR 15. No idea if you can get this surcharge online without booking a ticket at the same time. But you can get it at the counter. And you can also upgrade to Business Class when on board.

> which used to be Premier

Which is no more as it was not used. Now you have a bit less service (seats etc. are of course still the same) and a lower fee (EUR 15 instead of 25). But I think you chances to upgrade on board are still really good.

Edited: 10:02 am, April 21, 2014
New York, NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrading on Rail Jet from First to Business

Thank you so much.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,353 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrading on Rail Jet from First to Business

You just pay the conductor €15

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upgrading on Rail Jet from First to Business

Yes, either go to the counter and pay the 15 euros (I've done that a few times in Budapest) or just pay the conductor the extra 15 euros on board.

I must admit I'm quite partial to Railjet's cradling leather Business class seats with legrests in the semi-compartments, even though it's an extravagance! You get a complimentary welcome drink too - red or white wine, for example, or even bubbly.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,353 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upgrading on Rail Jet from First to Business

They used to offer such things when it was €25, but you've got to pay for the tidbits now.

9. Re: Upgrading on Rail Jet from First to Business

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 24, 2015