We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laender Ticket (Bayern Ticket)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Laender Ticket (Bayern Ticket)

My husband & I are planning on doing a day trip to the Ludwig Castles in Fussen from Munich. It looks like the Bayern Ticket is our best option price wise. We are planning on pre buying our tickets online. In doing so, can we book our seats in advanced or just show up when we want to go? Also, I'm not sure how long to allow for the two castles. Do you need to book our seats back to Munich in advance? We are also taking a trip another day trip to Zugspitze and would like to do the Bayern Ticket then as well. Since this is the day we are flying in (from another European city), I do not want to purchase these tickets ahead of time, in case something happens. Is there anyway to show up at the train station and purchase them right then? Or should we take our chances and purchase ahead of time?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,866 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Laender Ticket (Bayern Ticket)

> I do not want to purchase these tickets ahead of time, in case something happens.

What shall happen? If you can't travel on this day you'll loose the money for the tickets as Bayern Tickets come with no change no refund.

> Is there anyway to show up at the train station and purchase them right then?

You can buy them for the same price at all ticket machines. For EUR 2,00 more also at the counters.

Bayern Ticket covers only regional trains. No seat reservations on regional trains possible at all. And on both routes you have only regional trains (putting a single ICE on a few weekend days to Garmisch-Partenkirchen aside).

Bayern Ticket gives you a 10% discount on the Zugspitze fares.

bahn.de/regional/…2

Mentioned in this post
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laender Ticket (Bayern Ticket)

just to be clear, Bayerntickets are not a restricted offer. You can *ALWAYS* buy one.

You may wish to board the train early at Munich central station as some trains -esp first Bayernticket train to Fuessen- tend to fill up quickly. If you had 8 people who wanted to sit together for example, get to station 30 mins before train leaves.

As abalada says, no reservations. Also no "it's full, no more people allowed". You can (and I have done) get in and stand; locals may get off next stop and you can then sit.

HOWEVER: Do book your tickets to N'stein in advance to avoid a long wait -sometimes an hour. You can see (on www.bahn.de) when the train plus bus gets you there so book for shortly after that arrival time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,679 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laender Ticket (Bayern Ticket)

>>Do you need to book our seats back to Munich in advance? <<

As mentioned, Bayern ticket is valid for Regional trains, so no reservation. And it is valid up to 3am the next day, so valid for your inwards and return journey. There is no need to buy in advance, just buy at the ticket machine.

Here is a video guide that someone has created:

How To Get To Neuschwanstein ( From Munich Main Station ) Ep 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKY4Ymdfuog

How To Get To Neuschwanstein ( Füssen Station ) Ep 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_WFiXy4U4

How To Get To Neuschwanstein ( Hohenschwangau Bus Stop ) Ep 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPLfn-y56Y0

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laender Ticket (Bayern Ticket)

As others have said, just buy the Bayern ticket the day you need it. There is a place to buy train tickets inside the Munich airport, near the escalators down to catch the train to the main station in Munich.

Also definitely reserve your Neuschwanstein tickets ahead of time. You must pick up your tickets at least an hour before the tour time, so allow for that when you make your calcuations. Another option would be to spend the night in nearby Fuessen or even Hohenschwangau (the village where Neuschwanstein is) so that you could reserve early tickets for the next day, and have some time to spend in Fuessen itself.

Here's a link to Fuessen, so you can see what the town is like.

http://www.fuessen.de/en.html

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Laender Ticket (Bayern Ticket)

Thank you for all of the helpful information! The videos were really great! I have never thought to check youtube before. After doing some more research it looks like we won't be able to use the Bayern Ticket for our day trip to Fuessen, because we are leaving too early. In this case, do we need to book our tickets ahead of time? We are going mid-week the third week in May, so I'm not sure if there will be a lot of other tourists doing the same thing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,679 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laender Ticket (Bayern Ticket)

>>because we are leaving too early<<

Do you mean you are travelling on a weekday before 9am?

In which case, you may need to purchase a 2nd ticket from Munich to an intermediate stop, when that stop becomes a valid point (9am). You can still purchase the Bayern ticket together, as these would be valid for the return ticket as well.

In summary (others may correct me if I am wrong with the intermediate stop)

- purchase Bayern ticket for 2, plus ticket from Munich to Kaufbeuren (€ 17.40 each)

- leave Munich at 07:53

- Kaufbeuren leaves att 09:00

- arrives Fuessen at 09:54

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,866 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Laender Ticket (Bayern Ticket)

You can buy tickets to the first stop past 9am and use the Bayern Ticket from there on.

As these are all only regional trains there is nothing you can book. Buy these tickets on spot.

The trains to start in Munich (and return at Füssen). Thus just be there in time (10-15 min prior departure) and you should have no problems to find seats for you.

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Laender Ticket (Bayern Ticket)

Dear Abalada

I check this on DB website - 02/06/2014, depart from Ochsenfurt

Ochsenfurt Mo, 02.06.14 dep 09:00 3 RB 58109

Departing at exactly 9 am, can I use bayern ticket to start the journey ?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,281 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Laender Ticket (Bayern Ticket)

Yes, It is valid from 09:00

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply