We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
252 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

Hi

I intend to purchase the King's Ticket which enable the tour of both castles.

With Russ' guidance, I will leave Munich HBF on the 8.53am train (on 12 June 2014 - Thursday) with a Munchen-Pasing single ticket and a Bayern Ticket. I will reach Fussen at 10.55am.

However, the bookings for the castles' ticket require to indicate a time of the tour.

Can anyone advise what would be the appropriate time to fill in the booking form.

Mike's Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Munich
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Big Hat Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Radius Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Gear Rentals
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,220 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

You reach Füssen at 10:55, then you have to take the bus over to Hohenschwangau. Tickets must be picked up from the ticket office in Hohenschwangau no later than one hour before the start of the tour. A rough calculation leads to 1 p.m. as the earliest realistic time.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
252 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

Thanks BlandineForberg for the suggestion.

Any idea what are their tour time? At every hour?

3. Re: Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:24 pm, August 10, 2014
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

You pick a time on-line and the ticket office will let you know what is available. They know how much time to allot between castles, so you only pick one time and they will determine the other time. Remember to pick up your tickets at least an hour ahead of tour time, so you have enough time to get to the top of the mountain for the tour.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
252 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

Hi Expert

How long in advance you reckon I need to reserve. My tentative date for this itinerary is on 11 June 2014.

The other question is do I have a choice of doing which castle first? From what you wrote it appears I have. From what read (somewhere - can't recall where), if doing both, i have to do Hohenschwangau first, and then Neuschwanstein.

Thank you.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,220 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

Seeing Hohenschwangau first makes sense because Hohenschwangau castle is a generation older, it is the place where the royal family actually lived during the summers and where the later King Ludwig spent his childhood.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
252 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

I have another question on the Neuchwanstein Castle and Mary's bridge.

Assuming I do the Hohenschwangau tour at 13hour and Neuchwanstein at 15hour.

The first tour ends at 13.30pm. Then I walked 20 minutes downhill back to the bus terminal to catch the uphill bus to Neuchwanstein.

Then I guess I have 2 options:

Option 1: Stop at Mary's bridge first and then walked 15 minutes down hill to Neuchwanstein castle for the 15hour tour. Do I have enough time to do this? I reckon this will be a bit rush.

Option 2: Do the tour first, then walked 15minutes uphill to Mary's bridge. Then walked downhill 55minutes to the bus terminal.

Which would be a better option?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

There is a horse and cart that you can pay to take you to the top of the hill if you don't have much time. I can't remember how much it cost though. There is also a restaurant on the way up/down, so if you've got time stop for a refreshing Radler (beer with lemonade) and some delicious Kaiserschmarrn. Mmm... :)

9. Re: Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 pm, August 10, 2014
Edited: 9:22 pm, August 10, 2014
10. Re: Timing for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles Tour

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

Removed on: 9:24 pm, August 10, 2014