We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift shops near Hauptbahnhof

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
796 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gift shops near Hauptbahnhof

Hello TA people, after a little help here. I'm currently in a ski resort in Austria for the Winter season, but flying home to England for the weekend for a family birthday. Sunday happens to be Mother's Day and so I am looking for somewhere to buy a gift for my mum. I've had a look here in resort, but it's the usual ski resort limited choice/over priced, so hoping I might be able to get something in Munich.

I have about 2 hours to shop in the centre from my train arriving at the Hbf to having to get on the s-bahn out to the airport, so ideally I'm after shop suggestions not too far from there, or not far from stops on the s8/s1 lines. Anybody suggest anywhere please? Doesn't have to be traditional Barvarian gift, maybe a department/John Lewis type store. I won't have luggage to trail round with me, as I'm only home for the weekend I'm hand luggage only.

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,069 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift shops near Hauptbahnhof

from recollection, the hbf is close to the main shopping street in munich , marienplatz. but there are plenty of shops in munich airport, as you exit the s bahn. marco opolo, bennetton etc etc

Edited: 12:10 pm, March 25, 2014
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift shops near Hauptbahnhof

You can walk from Hauptbahnhof to Marienplatz. This will take about 30 minutes, and you can then take the S-Bahn to the airport from Marienplatz then. This will take you through the pedestrian area. I'd ignore the first few shops, until you arrive at Karlsplatz/Stachus (and if I wasn't suggesting to take the S-Bahn there, that's just because walking is a little faster and a lot nicer).

There is a small underground passage at Karlsplatz/Stachus that has a Body Shop, if this is of any use to you.

In the pedestrian area, there are several souvenir shops. There also is a Crabtree & Evelyn or similar on the left-hand side. And there are some department stores where you could get some chocolates.

I'm not sure what you had in mind at all.

At Marienplatz, there is "Beck", a department store that has mostly clothes, but also some CDs (ground floor) and some very expensive stationery (second floor). It's also very nice.

Or how about a book? Hugendubl is at Marienplatz, too. That's a huge bookstore. Maybe you can find a nice illustrated book about Germany or Austria. They have a bargain section on the ground floor.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift shops near Hauptbahnhof

Karstadt department store is attached to the main station and you can walk through it to the next s-bahn station Karlsplatz where without even needing to go into the open you can get to the Kaufhof department store.

One of those 2 shops surely has something suitable. Kaufhof has a household/gift section on the bottom floor which has a fairly good range of stuff.

Theres also a good giftshop at the airport called "Buyern" should you be stuck for time in town.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,069 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gift shops near Hauptbahnhof

when I was through munich ap in January, buyern was all closed up and empty. has it re-opened?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
796 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gift shops near Hauptbahnhof

Thanks everybody. I've been in to a Kaufhof (couldn't remember the name, been bugging me for a while but knew I'd remember it when I saw it) on several occasions before and always come up trumps so along with the other suggestions I'm sure I'll get something. Not too sure what I have in mind really, I rarely do with gifts, I'm one of those that just knows when they see it!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gift shops near Hauptbahnhof

you seem to be right.

there only seems to be this crowd now who do a similar type of product.

munich-airport.de/en/…index.jsp

7. Re: Gift shops near Hauptbahnhof

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 27, 2015