We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Munich to Prague

Bangkok, Thailand
1 post
Save Topic
Train from Munich to Prague

I have tried to book train tickets from Munich to Prague. Bahn booking showed the price of 138 Euro for 2 persons in 2nd class. However, I checked Czech train website (https://www.cd.cz/en/). The price was 1064CZK (approx 40 EURO) for the same train. Is that website reliable?

Once I tried to book through czech website, I couldn't reserve seats. Will that be okay for us to get seats once we are on board? I'm rather worried due to the long journey one.

Please kindly advise.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Munich to Prague

"Is that website reliable?"

Yes it is.

"Will that be okay for us to get seats once we are on board?"

Depends, if you travel off peak and if the train starts in Munich most probably.

Is it one of the trains with train number starting with ALX and/or EX?

Just went through one booking process for random day in May and a reservation (seems to) work(s) for me (Just tried it till purchasing), reservation comes extra at 163 CZK for two for me.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,565 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Munich to Prague

The direct trains from Munich to Prague are operated by the Regentalbahn AG (train type ALX) and by CD (Czech Railways) (train type Ex). That's why DB (Deutsche Bahn - German Rail) does not offer specials for these trains. Only the standard fare tickets. In competition to the direct ALX/Ex trains DB offers the IC Bus Munich - Prague which is one our faster.

bahn.com/i/…ic-bus-prague.shtml

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,607 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Munich to Prague

I would take the faster bus if it was my trip.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Munich to Prague

There is a very comfortable bus (operated by the German railways) on this route that's far superior to the train.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Munich to Prague

DB wants to sell its motorway bus - www.cd.cz/eshop is the official Czech Railways site and it will sell tickets for the proper train from 19 euros each way, a bargain.

However 'nice' the bus, it's still a bus, cramped, and the danger of feeling car-sick if you try read, and with no room to move. It's a shame that European transport has degenerated to the point where a bus is proposed between two major cities hundreds of miles apart,!

The direct Munich-Prague trains are 'classic' trains, so nothing fancy, but at least they run smoothly on the rails through the countryside, with room to move, multiple toilets, and there's a bistro car for a meal and beer on two out of the four daily trains, or you can bring your own food and beer of course (not sure if you are allowed to do that on a bus!).

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Munich to Prague

Dear all

Thanks indeed for your answers and tips. I'd prefer train as it's the long journey. I need some space to move around. However, I'll check those options again.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Munich to Prague

<The direct Munich-Prague trains are ...nothing fancy>.Really? '...or you can bring your own food and beer of course (not sure if you are allowed to do that on a bus!). You are 'of course' allowed to do that on a bus! How did you not find that out?

Edited: 12:50 pm, March 26, 2014
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,607 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Munich to Prague

Yep, you can bring food on the bus. The attendant will even sell you drinks and snacks.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,084 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Munich to Prague

The bus is fast, large, modern and comfortable - far superior to the elderly and slow train. The train is €10 cheaper at €19 but you get what you pay for.

You can bring a whole hamper onto the bus if you want, but a regular picnic will suffice. You can buy beer and drinks (and snacks) on the bus and the steward will bring it to you.

One day they might get round to upgrading the rail infrastructure, but until that day comes it is the bus every time, unless you are a die-hard rail enthusiast/time is of no object :)

Edited: 7:13 pm, March 26, 2014
Sacramento
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Munich to Prague

We took this route a few years back. Look into the Bayern Ticket which is 34 Euro for up to 5 people. This ticket will get you from Munich to Pilsen/Plzen on the Czech border. Once we crossed into Czech Republic, we purchased additional tickets on the train for the remainder of the trip into Prague or you can buy those tickets online in advance. To buy on the train, we had to get Czech currency before taking the trip but that was easy. There are several forums on this subject by searching on 'Bayern Ticket Prague'.