We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much have you....

Kent
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much have you....

...paid to go to the BeerFestival?

This is mainly directed at people from the UK.

Looking to go in 2015 for hubby's 40th but am aware that I need to start saving now with the intention of booking at the end of 2015. Just want to figure if it is affordable.

How much roughly have you paid for flight and accommodation and how close to the festival are you staying? How far in advance did you book?

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much have you....

Are you talking about the Oktoberfest?

Kent
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How much have you....

Oops sorry yes the Oktoberfest.

Boston...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much have you....

Don't book flights more than 54 days in advance, you will pay too much. Which beer festival are you looking at? Oktoberfest?

The strong beer festival for lent (early spring) or beer week in honor of the pure beer law? That's in April. Germans love their beer...Americans love German beer too...been looking at all the festivals.

Boston...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much have you....

How long do you want to go for a weekend, a week? Do you want to do something like a beer tour which will take you to areas around Munich for other breweries? (Augsburg has a good one and so does Aying -- I may have spelled that wrong) both are close to Munich.

Send mea pm and I will send you links to some cool tours when I get home and can reply by computer not my phone.

Edited: 3:49 pm, March 20, 2014
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much have you....

>>Don't book flights more than 54 days in advance, you will pay too much. <<

Bad advice. The OP lives in the UK and the UK<>Germany market is dominated by low-cost carriers, whose yield management techniques only see tickets getting more and more expensive. OP, if you are DEFINITELY going to go, book your flights and accommodation soon.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much have you....

Well I would book flights 6-8 months in advance, there are a lot of people from the UK that go to it.

The second biggest such festival is in Stuttgart aound the same time(about 3.5 million visitors) unlike Munich the hotel prices don't soar upwards.

For Munich also book your hotel well in advance, see www.hrs.com and www.booking.com for prices

Boston...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much have you....

Don't book flights more than 54 days in advance, you will pay too much. Which beer festival are you looking at? Oktoberfest?

The strong beer festival for lent (early spring) or beer week in honor of the pure beer law? That's in April. Germans love their beer...Americans love German beer too...been looking at all the festivals.

How long do you want to go for a weekend, a week? Do you want to do something like a beer tour which will take you to areas around Munich for other breweries? (Augsburg has a good one and so does Aying -- I may have spelled that wrong) both are close to Munich.

Send mea pm and I will send you links to some cool tours when I get home and can reply by computer not my phone.

Boston...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much have you....

Interesting I am in the process of booking two months in Germany and have been advised by travel experts just the opposite. Maybe it's an American thing. They say the one thing Americans do wrong is booking flights too far in advance.

Boston...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How much have you....

I was reading about the one in Stuttgart. Yes you are in the UK...I was advised by travel experts in the US that the biggest mistake Americans make is getting tickets too far in advance. Many sites here won't do bookings more than 6mths in advance.

So while it may not be accurate advice for the UK, it is what they have been telling me here. I am in the process of booking a 2-month trip to Germany this Summer.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much have you....

I don't know about your experts but I think most on the air travel forum would suggest earlier than that for peak season travel to Europe. Many of them are pretty seasoned travellers that have been coming here for years and a few that seem to work in travel