We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unterammergau to Zugspitze summit.

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Unterammergau to Zugspitze summit.

Hi,

What are the options and prices for doing this via train and bus?

The bus seems a minefield to me!

Thanks.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,091 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unterammergau to Zugspitze summit.

Hi Kryzstofer,

I don't think the bus should be a minefield to you -- just think of them as "trains on wheels," lol. They will follow the schedule just as the trains do.

You can use the German train site at

www.bahn.com

to get all the schedules. I just took a look and it looks like the journey will be either 2h08 or 2h45, depending on when you leave, and there are two changes, one in Oberammergau and one in Garmisch.

If you leave at 07.20, you take the train to Oberammergau, then walk outside the train station and hop on the bus to Garmisch. In Garmisch, you walk downstairs and through the tunnel (well signed) to the Zugspitzebahnhof. The train leaves at 08.15 and arrives at the Zugspitze at 09.28.

The name of your destination is Zugspitze Bf, Zugspitzplatt

Have fun as you plan!

s

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Unterammergau to Zugspitze summit.

Thanks swandav!

We plan on the 9.25 bus from Unterammergau to Garmisch Bahnhof. Am I right in thinking this has no changes? Then at the Bahnhof is it possible to get a bus to the eibsee seilbahn instead of waiting an hour for the cogwheel train to the summit?

Thanks!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Unterammergau to Zugspitze summit.

Thanks swandav!

We plan on the 9.25 bus from Unterammergau to Garmisch Bahnhof. Am I right in thinking this has no changes? Then at the Bahnhof is it possible to get a bus to the eibsee seilbahn instead of waiting an hour for the cogwheel train to the summit?

Thanks!

In addition to this is it ok/acceptable/normal to take a two year old child to the summit?!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,091 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unterammergau to Zugspitze summit.

Hi again,

I'm afraid I don't see that bus on the schedule, or any bus that goes from Unterammergau to Garmsich. Can you tell me where you see that?

I do see a bus that leaves Oberammergau at 09.33.

Yes, there is a bus that runs from Garmisch to the Eibsee Seilbahn, but it's not hugely more convenient. It also only runs once an hour, and the trip takes about 20 minutes to get to the cable car station. The cable car only runs every half hour, and the departures are not well coordinated with the arriving bus.

Here is a link to the Eibsee Bus

http://www.eibseebus.de/startseite.php

Under "Fahrplan," click on "Anzeigen" to see the timetable.

I personally like to take the train up and then the cable car down -- I love seeing the wide expanse of the lake as I descend. And then, I like to walk around the lake (about 1h) and then have some cake and coffee at a lakeside restaurant while waiting for the bus.

I'm afraid I don't know much about taking children up to the peak. I've never had kids. I do know that some Swiss people advise you to consult your pediatrician before you do this -- they say that the altitude could make those small lungs and hearts uncomfortable. So, just ask your pediatrician if your child is in good shape for the trip up to 3,000 m.

s

5. Re: Unterammergau to Zugspitze summit.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 12, 2015