We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich/Germany Itenary

Melbourne, Australia
12 posts
Save Topic
Munich/Germany Itenary

Hi guys. I need your help on my itenary. I'm lost as to how to travel Germany as there are so many things to see.

I will have about 7-10 days in Germany.

What I'm planning is

Leaving Czech republic on May 24th 2014 going straight to Munich. Not sure if worth seeing Berlin

Arrive Munich May 24th

Leisurely wonder around hotel area.

Day 2 May 25th

see Marienplatz, Neues Rathaus, St Peterskirche, Altes Rathaus and Heiliggeistkirche.

Then walk along the genteel Theatinerstrasse and see Frauenkirche and finally Michaelskirche

Day 3 May 26th

Residenz and Schloss Nymphenburg

Day 4 May 27th

English gardens, Neue Pinakothek

Rest of days I'm not sure as some places take hours to get to. For example is the Eagle's Nest (at Berchtesgaden) worth going? (the train travel and the 4 hour English tour up the mountain then train back to Munich)

My wife and I also want to do a tour of the Mercedez Benz and Porsche museums but it doesnt seem like a day tour from Munich. Would it be worth doing the Romantic Road as recommended by various guidebooks etc. We can be a little flexible with time as we just need to make our way to Cologne and stay there a few days and we will have the rest of the trip to decide as we leave via London on 6th June. We will mostly be taking train if its easier to visit these places. Any little input is appreciated as the Lonely planet guidebook is hard to follow as a guide for Germany. Been losing so much hair over planning this Europe trip as being use to doing small towns in Australia or countries Japan and Taiwan that have pretty much everything laid out easily. Europe is huge by comparison in terms places to see.

P.S I like my beers :)

Day 5 May28th

Fussen for Neuschwanstein and Hohenshwangau

Day 6 May 29th

Mercedez Benz and Porsche museums

Day 7 May 30th

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Marienplatz
Marienplatz
20,088 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Michaelskirche
Michaelskirche
521 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich/Germany Itenary

not sure if youre driving or going by public transport.

Either way, if you are in Prague first then you need to pass through northern Bavaria to get to Munich.

A little north of Nuremburg in Northern Bavaria (direct bus/ train from Prague) is the city of Bamberg which is self named as "Beer City Bamberg" and lives up to its name. Theres a dozen breweries in the town and district and more a stones throw away. So I'd advise maybe heading there for the 24th and then head toward Munich the next morning.

And the wife should be happy enough too as its one of the prettiest towns in Germany with Unesco protected status and whatnot. Also for the wife, theres no lack of wine in the north of Bavaria as the neighbouring region to the west is a massive wine growing region.

If looking to come straight to Munich from Prague (or make a stopover on way from Bamberg to Munich) then Regensburg on the shores of the Danube is another gem. Again 1000+ Unesco protected structures and has the largest number of pubs in Germany (allegedly).

I'm working on helping 4 friends plan a week in Bavaria and to be honest its not finding enough to see thats the problem, but more what you have to leave out.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Bavaria
Bavaria
Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34,309 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich/Germany Itenary

"Not sure if worth seeing Berlin"

Yes it is worth seeing. It's place in history in the 20th century alone makes it worth seeing, but it also depends on if you have the time to dedicate to the city to see it's history.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Pune
Level Contributor
64 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich/Germany Itenary

We are a family of four adults and are staying in Munich. We wish to travel by train (I believe that is the least expensive option) from Munich to Bavarian Forest National park. Is it possible to do this in one day if we leave Munich early in the morning? How does one make this day trip from Munich by train? Is it worth spending the whole day for this trip?

Melbourne, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich/Germany Itenary

I've noticed Bamberg is on the romantic Road route as well. But I'd figure you're right about going there straight from Prague. Then heading to Munich and surrounding areas. Fussen and then head to Stuttgart. And finally on to Cologne.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Cologne
Cologne
Melbourne, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich/Germany Itenary

I've noticed Bamberg is on the romantic Road route as well. But I'd figure you're right about going there straight from Prague. Then heading to Munich and surrounding areas. Fussen and then head to Stuttgart. And finally on to Cologne.

Edited: 4:12 am, March 06, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Cologne
Cologne
Melbourne, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich/Germany Itenary

done some changes.

Hi guys. Done some changes. Hope you can help I feel I'm leaving out so much as it gets quite expensive if i take side trips to places like Bamberg or Rothenburg. Travel by train seems the quickest. though adding in those towns will take significant hours and alot more money I'm coming from Italy>australia>Czech to Germany. I leave Britain on 6th June. Is there anyway i can improve my itenary like leave out the eagle's next etc or add in the "Romantic Road". Is the German railyway pass worth it in my case. Will be skipping Berlin to save time and spend most time around Munich.

*Itenary is as:*

Leave Prague 25th May——Arrive Munich 25th May (Sunday)

=====Munich stroll according to Lonely Planet

-Marienplatz, Neus Rathays(new town hall to watch ever-dancing Glockenspeil at 11A.M)

-Then walk north along the genteel Theatinerstrasse

-Return south on Theatinerstrasse and cut west to landmark of Munich Frauenkirche (church of our Lady)

-Continue west to the large grey Michaelskirche

26th May (Monday)

Segway Tour of Munich

27th May (Tuesday)

Train and tour to Eagle’s nest at Berchtesgaden

-May use Viators Day trip tour which uses a bus and returns to Munich at night

28th May (Wednesday)

Fussen to tour Neuschwanstein Castle using

https://www.mikesbiketours.com/munich/nct/bo…

Leaves around 8:45am and back in Munich around 7:45

29th May (Thursday)

Munich=====>Stuttgart (2.5 hour train)

See Mercedez Benz museum and Porsche Museum

Go to Cologne 31st May (Saturday)

Stuttgart=====> Cologne (3 hours train)

Yet to decide what to do but a friend will bring us around as long as we arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Marienplatz
Marienplatz
20,088 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Michaelskirche
Michaelskirche
521 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Cologne
Cologne
7. Re: Munich/Germany Itenary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, March 15, 2015