We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only one afternoon in Munich

Capetown
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Only one afternoon in Munich

Hi, my family of 4 will arrive at the airport 11.30 on a Thursday, in October. The plan is to hire a car to travel to Leutasch in Austria. Is it doable to go into the city for only one afternoon (to show the kids the altstadt)? However, we don't want to drive after sunset. At what time will the sun set more or less in October? If you think it is possible to do such a trip, what would be the best way to travel into the old city? We thought maybe to travel by train and then hire the car once we leave. Please any info, tips and ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only one afternoon in Munich

Sunset is at around 18.30 see timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

It would be easiest to go by s-bahn to Marienplatz and walk around there. Make sure to visit Viktualienmarkt and Hofbrauhaus too.

Then get a rental car at the Hauptbahnhof for example (or perhaps better at Ostbahnhof) and drive off.

I do think it is better to stay the night in Munich. And start driving after a good nights sleep.

Edited: 8:16 am, February 17, 2014
Capetown
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only one afternoon in Munich

Thanks Grolland!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only one afternoon in Munich

If you like beer it makes even more senses to stay a night!

Capetown
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only one afternoon in Munich

Lol! And it is Oktoberfest, isn't it? Unfortunately our accommodation is already booked for that night in Leutasch.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Only one afternoon in Munich

When in October are you travelling?

Capetown
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only one afternoon in Munich

The 2nd.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only one afternoon in Munich

OK that's Oktoberfest time!

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Only one afternoon in Munich

Do the S Bahn ticket machines at the airport accept euro coins or bills or both? Been stuck at a Paris airport without coins and no atm to dispense coins either.

Scotia, New York
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Only one afternoon in Munich

S-Bahn machines accept EuroCard/MasterCards. Find an ATM in Munich, even at the airport, then go to the nearest bank as they close at 3 PM and get a fist full of coins. Yes, Europe runs on Coins, lots of them.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only one afternoon in Munich

Oktoberfest throws a bit of a monkey wrench into the works. Lodging in Munich will be expensive, but at this point since it is still quite a few months out, you can probably still secure lodging. I'd get that reserved as soon as you can. I agree that spending the night in Munich (or close by) is a very good idea though. I know you said you already have your lodging in Austria booked, but you can change it if you want, right?