We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

We are 2 adults and 2 kids 6 and 7. Appreciate some advice and review of our itinerary. My husband is keen to drive ( we live in sunny perth) but I am more keen on train. Is the following itinerary doable for young family? Or should I cut off shopping and spend 3 nts each in strasbourg and heidelberg?

Dec 14 ski lech

Dec 20 rail lech to munich 4 nts

Dec 24 pick up car munich

Dec 24 rothenburg 2 nights

Dec 26 metzingen shopping ( prob see ulm on the way on 26th then shop 27th which unfortunately is a Saturday )

Dec 28 strasbourg 2 nts

Dec 30 heidelberg 2 nts

1 jan home from frankfurt airport

Many thanks in advance

Viktualienmarkt
Flea & Street Markets
Riem Market
Flea & Street Markets
Collector`s Corner
Gift & Specialty Shops
Die Bonbon Manufaktur
Gift & Specialty Shops
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

the 26th is a public holiday so you wont be shopping that day.

www.outletcity.com/en/metzingen/openinghours/

Normally I'd say rothenburg with 2 kids for 2 nights would be a little much, but about christmas time so much is closed anyhow that a fairytale medieval town is as good as anything!

Regarding car or train for 24th onwards. I'd tend toward the car to be honest. With kids and luggage you would be driven to distraction with the changes necessary for that cross country itinerary, especially to get in and out of Rothenburg. Just be careful on the 24th that the car hire isnt closed for a half day or anything as most germans celebrate christmas on the evening of the 24th and NOT on the 25th.

Anyhow, with a car you are then flexible and also can potter about the other towns and villages along the "romantic road" which isnt really possible with train.

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

will ANYTHING be open in R o d T at this time?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

Thanks for your reply. Alternatively I was thinking of basing ourselves 4 nights munich, 4 nights nuremberg ( day trip rothenburg/bamberg) and 4 nights stuttgart ( day trip heidelberg/ metzingen/ strasbourg) then rail to frankfurt on day of departure. Would that be easier and less hectic?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

Yes apparently christmas museum and night watchman both happening on Christmas Day

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,541 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

Start with planning where you want to spend the Christmas holidays and New Years Eve, and check the closing dates of the Christmas markets which you may want to see, instead of just counting nights. So far your plans do not seem to take the holidays into much consideration.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

for your outlet shopping excursion you could also look into "Ingolstadt Village" outlet place which has a shuttle service to from Munich or Nürnberg

ingolstadtvillage.com/de/kundenservice/touri…

Mentioned in this post
Ingolstadt Village
Ingolstadt Village
530 Reviews
Ingolstadt, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

I hope your info on Georg B's Nightwatchman walk is correct. I read it that he's walking until Christmas- ie not on Christmas day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

Heidelberg/Strasburg doesn't really work as a day trip from Stuttgart. HD is about an hour and hour and a half from Stuttgart and then Strasbourg is about two hours from Stuttgart, but they form a sort of triangle in different directions that alone could take almost a day. Further, both towns need a full day to see and absorb. (Its more than running in, photo, check it off the list, leave). It may work to have a separate day trip to each (maybe this is what you mean anyway) but given their location, I think its better to stay there overnight rather than do days trips. Both towns also have a distinctive flavor to take in. They also have their own Christmas markets to enjoy. You will get some shopping in that way too.

I think your first idea is much better.

Mentioned in this post
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

thanks for your comment. yes I emailed the watchman and he confirmed a tour on 25 Dec. not sure whether kids will be up to it though!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich-rothenburg-metzingen-strasbourg-heidelberg

thanks for your contribution. I have been advised that everything shuts down from 24 Dec which is why I chose rothenburg as the christmas museum will be open and assume it will be ok to just walk around and poke around whilst staying there. any other advice will be much appreciated though.

strasbourg xmas market is on till 31 dec and I am hoping to see nye outside my hotel window as kids will be asleep!