We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oktoberfest day 1 advice

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Trois-Rivières...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oktoberfest day 1 advice

Hello!

My wife and I are currently planning a trip through germany and italy in September 2014.

We didn't specifically plan it this way, but we will be in Munich on Saturday, September 20th. We are arriving in Munich at ~10 AM and leaving at 23:40 in a night train to Venice. So we tought we might as well pass the whole day at Theresienwiese.

So I've read everything written about Oktoberfest, here and on other websites, so I think I know what a typical Oktoberfest should be like, and that if we had wanted to plan specifically for the fest, we probably should have chosen another day.

But now, here is my list of questions:

1. Is there a chance we can find seats for 2 in one of the tents on sept. 20th? (We could be at Theresienwiese at ~10:30 AM if we go there directly when arriving from fussen).

2. If we cannot get into a tent, is there another place we can sit / eat / drink a beer?

3. If we cannot get into a tent, is there enough to do to be there from 10AM to 10PM?

4. Any other advice for us?

I really didn't plan to be at Oktoberfest, but now that we are, I hope it is gonna be really great!

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oktoberfest day 1 advice

My suggestion would be this;

Since Saturday the 20th is the opening day, it’s going to be VERY hard to get into a tent. I would try to hurry and go to the opening parade. Then when it’s over (about noon) go on the Wiesn and try to get into a tent, but don’t let it ruin your day if you don’t get in. There is still plenty to do, see and ride on the Wiesn. So ride some rides and in an hour try to find a spot in a tent again. Try for 20 or 30 minutes and if you can’t, go ride some more rides or look around. Then maybe try again in an hour or so.

If you get bored or frustrated with this, the best biergarten in Munich (personal opinion ofcourse : D) is pretty close and within walking distance, the Augustiner Biergarten. Go there and have a great time.

But to answer your questions;

1. Yes, there is a chance. With there only being 2 of you, you stand a pretty good chance of getting in and getting a seat. We did it on the opening day in 2010, but it took us about 5 hours solid of asking and getting turned down in every language possible. Tip – have your wife ask, it seems to work better. The problem with getting to the Wiesn at 10:30am is, people will already be in the tents and they will be full, they will have gotten there EARLY to get a seat. Bier doesn’t get served until noon on the first day (when the Lord Mayor taps the first keg to officially open Oktoberfest), so no one will be ready to leave the tents (freeing up space) until 3 or 4pm. And by this time it will be so crowded you can barely walk. But it can be done.

2. Yes, if you like Wheat Beer, it is sold at a few places on the Wiesn, they are usually not full. Also like I said, there are biergarten outside the Wiesn (but not right outside, you have to walk at least a couple km).

3. For me, 10am to 10pm would be a long time on the Wiesn without drinking bier. I would say that 5 or 6 hours would be enough to ride some rides and walk about and get the feel of everything.

4. Advice – You must give it a try, it’s the most incredible thing you will see. When asking to sit at tables, be polite and don’t give up. Remember you will be able to get in most tents (some will be locked shut due to being full), you just might not be able to find a seat to set down, and once inside a tent with 8000 people, you will be amazed. Take your camera.

Trois-Rivières...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oktoberfest day 1 advice

Thanks for your amazing reply, This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

We will definitely head to the parade first then.

We will lock our backpacks in the hbf and just enjoy the day! I guess we will be sleeping like logs on the night train!!

Edited: 10:22 pm, January 23, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oktoberfest day 1 advice

I would recommend the parade only if you are really interested in this. If not, it might be wise to get to the Wiesn sooner and try to find a seat in a tent right away.

Try inside the big tents first.

4. Re: Oktoberfest day 1 advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 27, 2015