We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mecure Munchen Alstradt or Schlicker?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mecure Munchen Alstradt or Schlicker?

We are visiting Munich (first timers) in June, and I have been researching 3 star hotels near Marienplatz (based on advice/reviews on Trip Advisor).

Our limit is 200 euros a night, which pretty much eliminated any 4 star hotels in that area.

We usually like to stay in smaller hotels as close to the historical centre and main sites/sights as possible. Safe, clean and central are our usual criteria.

We hope to do most of our exploring on foot.

I have so far narrowed it down to either the Mecure Munchen Alstradt or the Schlicker (courtyard facing room). The hotels are similar prices.

I hoped that maybe some of the TA destination experts would be kind enough to offer their opinion?

Thank you - Buffie

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mecure Munchen Alstradt or Schlicker?

If they are the same price, take the Mercure.

The building activity opposite it was finished last autumn, and it is more central and nicer.

Did you also take a look at other hotels in the Altstadt: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187309-i118-k62…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mecure Munchen Alstradt or Schlicker?

Thank you Panda - had a good look at the other 3 star hotels in that area, but the Mecure and Schlicker seemed to be the best location & value - and overall had the best reviews.

The Mecure doesn't look much from the outside, but is usually a fairly consistent standard, and looks to be in a relatively quiet location, while the Schlicker looks to be in the thick of things, and maybe have a bit more character?

Will be interested to hear any feedback - thank you - Buffie

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mecure Munchen Alstradt or Schlicker?

Yes, your impressions are correct.

The Schlicker is located between a McDonald's and a Burger King, both also with outside seating, so it will be loud there, until about midnight.

The Mercure is located in a quiet side street, and nearer to Marienplatz.

The main danger I see with the Schlicker is that you could get one of the as yet unrenovated rooms with big-patterned wallpaper: …tripadvisor.com/media/…hotel-schlicker.jpg

Excuse me, but in that price range you could get a premium room at the Hotel Blauer Bock next to the Viktualienmarkt: hotelblauerbock.de/wp-content/…innen_06.jpg

which would be renovated for sure, in a historical building from 1572 and in a quieter location: http://www.hotelblauerbock.de/?lang=en

or even in the 4-star Hotel Platzl: platzl.de/no_cache/en/platzl-hotel-in-munich…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mecure Munchen Alstradt or Schlicker?

Hi -thank you for your advice. I have checked out the websites for the 2 hotels you recommend, and while it is over our initial budget - I am very tempted by the Platz Hotel - would be a lovely introduction to Germany, and so much nicer than the Mecure for example. Will see if we can stretch the budget. Thank you - Buffie

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,327 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mecure Munchen Alstradt or Schlicker?

Have you checked the Mercure rates on accorhotels.com? You often find good deals if you stay for several nights and/or by prepaying.

We stayed at the Mercure Altstadt on a June visit to Munich about 4 years ago, prepaid and got breakfast included, all at a good rate. It's a good location, very handy for sightseeing but quiet.

lJust ooking on that website, for mid-June it is 156€ per night prepaid, 176€ cancellable, both including breakfast

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mecure Munchen Alstradt or Schlicker?

Thank you Lynda - that rate is very tempting, but I think we have fallen for the Platzi - blame Panda74!

7. Re: Mecure Munchen Alstradt or Schlicker?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 17, 2015