We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transfers - Private or Train???

South Lanarkshire
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Transfers - Private or Train???

Hi Guys,

I have booked twelve of my work colleagues (including myself) for a 3-day break in Munich in March. I have still to decide on which Hotel (probably either Kings First Class or Holiday Inn City- any help on deciding is welcome), but wondered what our best mode of transport, to and from the airport would be? I have read numerous posts about taking the train, which would seem easy to any of the above two Hotels, but with all our other previous City Breaks (nine), I have organised private transfers in advance. I have found a transfer company who will collect us all from the airport and drop at hotel on the Friday and then collect us from Hotel on the Monday and take us back to the airport. The price is working out around £240 total, so £20 per person, assuming our numbers stay at twelve.

How would this compare with taking the train, from and to the airport???

Jensen Beach...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transfers - Private or Train???

The train was really easy, we just got in yesterday and took it. From the airport follow the S sign in the green circle, buy your tickets, go down the escalator and take either S1 or S8 doesn't matter which one they both go to Hauptbonhauf (sp?). Kings hotel is one block away it's actually where we are staying right now and the tickets for the train were about £10, very easy even for us and we are from a town with no train system :)

South Lanarkshire
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transfers - Private or Train???

Thanks for the quick response! I assume that train price is £10 per person, each way??? That would work out around the same price as the private transfer though.

How are you finding the Hotel?? Is it okay?? Wasn't sure about the Bavarian style and character, compared to the likes of the Holiday Inn. Do you think it would be suitable for twelve guys??

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,916 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transfers - Private or Train???

Partner (mini group) day ticket is EUR 21,30.

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

With 12 persons you would need 3 of these tickets.

Thus EUR 5,33 per person. One way. But covers all local public transport for the day.

South Lanarkshire
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transfers - Private or Train???

Thanks for prices, abalada!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transfers - Private or Train???

Buying an MVV Partner-Tageskarte would be much better value to get from the airport, as up to 5 adults can travel on a single ticket. It would cost €21.30 per ticket and is valid for the whole day, including the trip from the airport.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Transfers - Private or Train???

These transfer companies must really be feeling the pinch. Offering a service like theirs against the backdrop of a public transprt system as good as that of Munich is a hiding to nothing.

HI is right above Rosenheimerplatz station. It is accessible without going outside at all. To me, that's its only advantage. Kings is much nicer.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,724 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Transfers - Private or Train???

Yep, just over 60 euro each way for all 12 of you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Transfers - Private or Train???

Will you be needing local subway transport as well, for going around within Munich?

In that case you might also consider the three day group ticket for the 'Innenraum' for 25,90 (max 5 persons)

mvv-muenchen.de/de/…index.html

plus for each day you travel to the airport the airport surcharge ticket (aussenraum) for 11,20 per day (max 5 persons

9. Re: Airport Transfers - Private or Train???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 04, 2015