We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bayern Ticket - Neuschwanstein Castle

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Bayern Ticket - Neuschwanstein Castle

First I have to state that there is quite a bit of information about the Bayern Ticket and Neuschwanstein Castle on this forum. I appreciate everyone's efforts and feel a little embarrassed that I'm asking yet another question.

However.

My wife and I are planning to visit Neuschwanstein on Saturday, December 28. I like to have things planned out and paid for before I leave, so I went to the DB Bahn site and put in the information

Date: December 28, 2013

To: Hohenschwangau, Schwangau

Time:8:00

Return: 17:00

According to the website the total for the trip is over 100 Euros. Now I like to pay a little more for conveince, but that doesn't make sense.

If I wait and just buy a Bayern Ticket on the day it will cost about 25 euros for the both of us, correct?

Why isn't the website giving the me the Bayern option? Am I doing something wrong?

Again thanks.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
463 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bayern Ticket - Neuschwanstein Castle

I don't know why it doesn't show that option, but just buy the ticket from the machine at the station. It's easy. Don't forget that the bus ride in Fuessen is also included with the ticket

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bayern Ticket - Neuschwanstein Castle

A new schedule goes into effect on Dec. 15. Perhaps the DB site isn't fully informational yet. The Bayern Ticket will cost 27€ for two, and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use it for this round trip.

That said, it's 5 hours round trip just for the transport - a whole day dedicated to a 30-minute tour of N'stein - which isn't a castle but a late 19th-century residential palace mocked up to look like a castle, much flocked-to by international tourists, and a stunning sight from below, but not terribly rewarding. I found the $16 tour unworthy of the $16 and of the time and expense required to get there from Munich.

One palace alternative that would be simpler is Nymphenburg Palace in Munich.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bayern Ticket - Neuschwanstein Castle

Normally the DB timetable does not know about bus fares at all. Don't know why the timetable gives in the case of Hohenschwangau a complete fare at all (normal would be a "partial fare"). While the system seems to know the bus tariff in this case (no big wonder as RVO buses is also a subsidiary of DB) it seems not to know that also these buses are covered by a Bayern Ticket. But also other "flat" specials are not showing up.

If you query just

To: Füssen

the system will show all fare options. Incl. the Bayern Ticket.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bayern Ticket - Neuschwanstein Castle

Bayern-Ticket is a day pass, not a point-to-point ticket, that's probably why it does not show up. No worries. Simply buy one for the date you want (28.12.2013), either here: bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml or from a ticket machine when you are there.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bayern Ticket - Neuschwanstein Castle

Thank you very much for your help. We will buy when we get there.

And Russ, this is something that Mrs. XB wants to do.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bayern Ticket - Neuschwanstein Castle

TPXB: In like fashion, I do what Mrs. Russ wants to do.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bayern Ticket - Neuschwanstein Castle

Do you have your Neuschwanstein tour tickets reserved already? You can avoid the long lines for same-day tickets by reserving on-line. Remember you need to pick up the tickets at least an hour before the tour time.

neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/index.htm

8. Re: Bayern Ticket - Neuschwanstein Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 15, 2014