We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MUNICH AUTOBAHN - South - Saturday 20th December

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
MUNICH AUTOBAHN - South - Saturday 20th December

I'll be driving from Strasbourg to Kitsbhuel on Saturday 20th December. The on line planner says to go ULM - MUNICH - KUFSTEIN on the motorway, but I am concerned that there may be a lot of traffic around the Munich autobahn with long delays by drivers heading south to start their ski holidays. I'm wondering whether to get off the motorway at ULM and go south via MEMMINGEN - KEMPTEN - INNSBRUCK - WORGL to avoid jams.

Has anyone experienced these routes at this time of year ?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,889 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: MUNICH AUTOBAHN - South - Saturday 20th December

> Saturday 20th December.

20th December or Saturday, 21. December ?

Stick to the Munich route. The second route, i.e. the Fernpass route is even more prone to traffic jams with holiday traffic as the Fernpassstraße is only 2 lane.

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernpassstra%C3%9Fe

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MUNICH AUTOBAHN - South - Saturday 20th December

Best is to start early if it's possible.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: MUNICH AUTOBAHN - South - Saturday 20th December

Enjoy being part of the show. It is going to be a total zoo on the roads that day. Take food and drink. An early start would indeed be wise - something like 4 a.m. maybe.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MUNICH AUTOBAHN - South - Saturday 20th December

Maybe you can start friday evening and stay in a budget motel somewhere?

5. Re: MUNICH AUTOBAHN - South - Saturday 20th December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:47 am, January 30, 2014
York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MUNICH AUTOBAHN - South - Saturday 20th December

Hi

Yes I have to drive - I'm actually driving down from York ENGLAND on the Friday morning, 20th Dec and getting the Channel Tunnel - arriving 2.00pm Calais and plan on getting to Strasbourg about 7pm - stopping in a hotel overnight and then planning to set off Sat 21st about 07.00. So I guess I will hit Munich at about 12.00?

Andy

York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MUNICH AUTOBAHN - South - Saturday 20th December

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm actually driving down from York ENGLAND on the Friday morning, 20th Dec and getting the Channel Tunnel - arriving 2.00pm Calais and plan on getting to Strasbourg about 7pm - stopping in a hotel overnight and then planning to set off Sat 21st about 07.00. So I guess I will hit Munich at about 12.00?

Maybe I should set off at 05.00am?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,875 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MUNICH AUTOBAHN - South - Saturday 20th December

I have seen some pretty dire jams on the autobahns out of munich. however, these usually occur early in the morning as people are trying to get to their destination early, or else at night, when some decide to drive to the ski resorts for sunday. so I reckon that your timing is the best.

last time I drove down, I had an up to date gps with me, and it was set to avoid traffic jams. I wasn't aware of it, and wondered why it kept telling me I was off course. the time shown to destination was about half an hour more than it would normally take me. I ignored it and stayed on the autobahn as it was a shorter distance. traffic delays meant that on my normal route, it took me half an hour extra. so, the gps did warn me of jams and rerouted a longer way, but even with jams on the autobahn, it still took me the same proposed length of time, but it could have been worse.

so if you have a gps with delay warnings, don't necessarily disregard the advice of a different route. but if you do go by autobahn, just accept the delays. after all, you wont be skiing until the next day anyway!

9. Re: MUNICH AUTOBAHN - South - Saturday 20th December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 08, 2014