We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Necessary to book Neuschwanstein castle tickets in advance?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Necessary to book Neuschwanstein castle tickets in advance?

Hi

I'm planning to visit Neuschwanstein castle in mid-Nov, was wondering if I need to book tickets in advance? I'm assuming mid-Nov is not high season so the wait won't be too long if I just go buy the tickets directly there in person? Also, I'm planning on getting the Bavarian castle pass so the tickets to Neuschwanstein castle tour will be included correct? I'm assuming you cannot use hte castle pass to book the tickets in advance online? Thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Necessary to book Neuschwanstein castle tickets in advance?

Neuschwanstein Castle is buy all year. I would still recommend to reserve tickets online in advance.

Bavarian Castle Pass includes Neuschwanstein Castle but not Hohenschwangau Castle.

You can still reserve online. Just write in the comment field that you'll have a Bavarian Castle Pass. You pay the reservation fee and the castle admission tickets (if you don't have a Bavarian Castle Pass) only when collecting the reserved tickets. Your credit card will be only charged with the reservation fee if you won't show up at all.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Necessary to book Neuschwanstein castle tickets in advance?

We went on Dec. 28. We got our tickets right as the office opened and there was no wait but when we came back down after the tour, the line was very long.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Necessary to book Neuschwanstein castle tickets in advance?

Book in advance, it is not worth the risk. We were at Neuschwanstein Dec 27, 2012. We had to pick up our tickets at 9am and the queue for non prebooked tickets was already immense. We spent the entire day around the town of Hohenschwangau and each time we passed the ticket office the queue was even longer. We were glad we had prebooked.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Necessary to book Neuschwanstein castle tickets in advance?

As others advise, book in advance. Then you pick up your tickets at least an hour ahead of your tour time, using the very short line for prebooked tickets. neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/index.htm

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Necessary to book Neuschwanstein castle tickets in advance?

There are little signs strategically placed in the queuing area that cheerfully tell you the estimated time it will take to reach the counter from that point. One in around the middle of this area indicated 2 hours. Everyone behind that point had a wait of longer than two hours: just to get to the counter and book a tour. Add to that the fact that once you get to the counter the next available tour may be 90 minutes or more away. This was in early October.

So yes, it's a very good idea to pre-book your tickets.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Necessary to book Neuschwanstein castle tickets in advance?

ok thanks all!

7. Re: Necessary to book Neuschwanstein castle tickets in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 17, 2014