We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls help with itinerary

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Pls help with itinerary

We have only 3 nites in Munich, will be arriving late afternoon from Prague on Friday and leaving Munich on Monday afternoon. We are torn between the 2 options :

Option 1 - Stay all 3 nites in Munich & use it as a base to visit Neuschwanstein Castle, Mittenwald & take Karwendelbahn cable car and Lake Chiemsee.

Option 2 - Stay Friday nite in Munich, Sat morning head towards Neuschwanstein Castle & spend a nite at Mittenwald (experience an overnight stay at the Alps!) & back to Munich again on Sunday.

Are both options viable? Which is better? We will be there 3rd week of this October . Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pls help with itinerary

there is masses to see & do in Munich itself ... what is the makeup of your group (family.. kids?) knowing this will help with suggestions.

We visited Herenchiemsee as a day trip from Munich

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pls help with itinerary

It is just me and my spouse. We're thinking of leaving our luggage with the hotel and just pack an overnight bag to the Alps. Any suggestion?

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pls help with itinerary

The castle is a full day trip alone. I would stay all nights Munich.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pls help with itinerary

Hi,

Personally, we LOVE Mittenwald! I'd overnight in Mittenwald and do the Karwendelbahn trip and substitute Ludwig's Linderhof for Neuschwanstein.

Try the "Mohr im Hemd" at "Der kleiner Kartoffelsack" in the pedestrian zone. Chocolate heaven!

If driving, stop at Andechs Monestary on the drive back to Munich.

Paul

Edited: 11:41 pm, October 12, 2013
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pls help with itinerary

We do not have a car so would need to rely on public transport. Is there any direct connection from Linderhorf or Neuschwanstein to Garmish or Mittenwald? If we start off real early in the day, is it possible to reach Mittenwald by early afternoon? Would love to cover both places but so little time:(

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pls help with itinerary

Hi,

I can't comment about train/bus connections between Mittenwald, garmisch and Linderhof and Neuschwanstein. I think the train from Munich to Mittenwald should be under or around 2 hours.

7. Re: Pls help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 15, 2014