We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad/sketchy/safe is the area near the train station?

San Jose del Cabo...
Level Contributor
8 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
How bad/sketchy/safe is the area near the train station?

I will be traveling with my girlfriend to Munich between Nov 26 and Dec 1. Based upon my research I would like to be a 15 minute or so walk from Marienplatz. There apear to many many hotels near Hauptbahnhof, but mant reviews of them (see the Sofitel) describe the area as not so desireable. Would anyone not stay in the area becuase of security/safety concerns? Should I be concerned about my girlfriend walking alone in the area?

Thanks to all who reply

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad/sketchy/safe is the area near the train station?

I think the area is save, even at night. There are a couple of streets with a lot of bargain type shops, and there are some adult shops as well. It's not nice, but there's no need to choose a different hotel for that reason.

Edited: 3:13 pm, October 10, 2013
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad/sketchy/safe is the area near the train station?

As you already noticed, there are many hotels, also upscale chain hotels, in that area. They would not stay in business for long if the area was really troublesome or outright dangerous.

It is not the prettiest area of the city but nothing you have to worry about. Lots of people seem to go hysteric if they see the shop window of a sex shop although these do not mean the slightest danger. The whole area, like all of the centre and most residential areas in the city, is by the way part of the "Sperrbezirk" where prostitution is banned.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad/sketchy/safe is the area near the train station?

My wife is content to walk through the area on her own and after dark.

It doesn't have druggies accosting people, lots of beggars etc.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
350 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad/sketchy/safe is the area near the train station?

While not exactly attractive, it's not that bad. Take a look at Hotel Uhland. It's near the train station but in a residential area. You care close to metro, and the area around it is very nice. We stayed there last Christmas and got around easy enough, including the Marienplatz. There is a bus you can catch for the three short stops from the train station to the hotel. It's easy, even with luggage.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad/sketchy/safe is the area near the train station?

Safe. Just not pretty. Indeed all of Germany is safe. It's one of the great things about travel in Germany.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad/sketchy/safe is the area near the train station?

Its a bit shabby, some of the buildings need a new coat of paint, and the shops are on the cheap and tacky side. Not a great impression of the city, but nothing dangerous.

San Jose del Cabo...
Level Contributor
8 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad/sketchy/safe is the area near the train station?

Thanks for all of your replies.

8. Re: How bad/sketchy/safe is the area near the train station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 13, 2014