We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
445 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

Hello,

During my research of Bavaria (will be in Munich 4 nights summer 2014) I came across what looks like an amazing fried pastry... Scheeballen (Snowballs). Unfortunately, my subsequent searches only turned up these being available in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. While I haven't ruled that town out as a day trip, I was wondering if anyone knows if these are available in Munich. If so, I would appreciate the names of any bakeries or other locations that are known to carry them there.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
898 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

Why don't you do a search on the Germany forum with the term Schneeballen? That should disabuse you of this "amazing fried pastry", unless you are a masochist. It really is amazing!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,074 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

They are horrid. We tried them in Heidelberg which had a whole store full of them, all different flavors and they look like they would be tasty, but, they aren't. Shelf life, just sitting there, without refrigeration, is about 6 weeks. Yummmm!

Imagine a plain piece of pie dough. Cut it into little triangles and stick them together to make a small ball. Dust with flavored sugar. How exciting!

This has got to be the driest piece of blahness, I have ever had.

Mentioned in this post
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

Bornheimgirl: I agree completely! We are in Fussen right now, and tried one yesterday. They looked soooo delicious, and then.....yuck. We each tried one bite and threw the rest in the garbage. Highly overrated, we think. Maybe we just got one that was past it's shelf life? ASPLOVER: we were in Munich last week, and didn't see them in the 5 days we were there.

TVQ

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,080 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

I have only seen this in an x-rated movie but I guess it is not the same ;)

Edited: 3:00 am, September 09, 2013
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

have to agree that they look better than they taste so you arent missing much. The town itsself is well worth a trip but not for those dry pastries.

theres lovelier cakes in Munich, for instance the amazing cafe luitpold

http://www.cafe-luitpold.de/cafe.html

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

Schneeballen are a Franconian pastry, and Munich is in Bavaria. And they are crap anyway and only known because every bakery in Rothenburg odT sells them. In Munich I recommend to try a "Prinzregententorte", which is Munichs answer to Viennas Sachertorte. Similar to Schneeballen would be a pastry called "Auszogne".

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
898 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,706 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

I agree that Schneeballen are amazing.

A triumph of expectation over reality. it really is amazing how anyone gets any repeat business selling them

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
445 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

Thanks for the feedback... apparently these are just some invention to rip tourists off in Rothenburg odT then lol? But as one poster said, hard to understand how sales could be decent with very few repeat customers... but maybe that's why many have sat on the shelf for weeks lol ;)

Anyway, there certainly seem to be a lot of other good choices in Munich rather than spending 3 hours on a train to get some.

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

Rick Steves seems to mention them.

In my 42 years mostly spent in southern Germany I never came across Schneeballen and only learnt about them on this forum. Seems to be a tourist thing ;)

Go to Viktualienmarkt for culinary pleasure!

Edited: 3:33 pm, September 09, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are "Schneeballen" available in Munich?

"apparently these are just some invention to rip tourists off in Rothenburg odT then lol? But as one poster said, hard to understand how sales could be decent with very few repeat customers"

It just shows the vast number of (foreign) tourists that visit Rothenburg. Actually, they aren't too bad if you're hungry because after a while even lard-saturated dough can taste good. If that's your taste, I guess that you could become a repeat customer. I'll order one every time we're in Rothenburg just to see if they have improved (they never do) but would never buy them elsewhere even though they seem to have also spread to some Christmas markets where I've never seen anyone buy them.

Oh, and they don't taste any better when they come out of the deep fat fryer.

Edited: 3:53 pm, September 09, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg