We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sale
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

Hi

If you have a Lufthansa air ticket does it entitle you to free travel on the S-bahn from / to Munich airport ?

Thanks

Jaymcfc

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

The way I read it you have to purchase a rail and fly ticket from €29.

12. Re: Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:59 am, October 24, 2013
Edited: 8:59 am, October 24, 2013
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

The way I read it you buy a rail and fly ticket from €29 that gets you to Munich main station and you get the Sbahn to the Airport for free. I have flown in and out of Munich many times with Lufthansa and I have never seen anything on my booking that states I get free Sbahn.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

Yes, as I wrote before, the S-Bahn trip is only free if you have also bought a 29€ Rail&Fly ticket.

Purchasing this ticket makes sense for people who fly into Munich but want to use German rail to travel to another city than Munich on the day they arrive, since this ticket covers rail travel to any city in Germany.

Here is some additional information on the German railway operator's web site on this ticket: bahn.de/p/view/service/flug/railandfly.shtml

If you get caught without a valid MVV/Deutsche Bahn ticket, it will cost you a fine of 60€.

Edited: 5:52 pm, August 31, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

"Rail&Fly-Fahrkarten gelten nicht für Fahrten innerhalb von Verkehrsverbünden, d.h. innerhalb des Nahverkehrs vor Ort. Wenn Sie beispielsweise in Essen wohnen und die Rail&Fly-Fahrkarte zum Flughafen Düsseldorf nutzen möchten, ist eine Beförderung im öffentlichen Nahverkehr nicht möglich. Anstelle dessen dürfen Sie mit ICE und IC anreisen"

bahn.de/p/…rail_und_fly.shtml

Rail&Fly tickets are NOT valid with local public transport (!!!)

That means that you can go from the main train station to the airport by ICE or RE but NOT by S-Bahn, U-Bahn or bus!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

Since the S-Bahn belongs to the Deutsche Bahn and not the public tranport operators, ALL Deutsche Bahn tickets are also valid on the S-Bahn. So, if for example you bought a rail ticket with starting point MUC (= Munich airport) to Stuttgart Hbf, then that ticket covers the S-Bahn trip from Munich airport to the Munich central station, and the the train to the Stuttgart centra station.

Apart from that, Deutsche Bahn has negotiated exceptions for some cities with their local public transport operators, as listed on the Lufthansa site linked to before: they got specific tram and bus lines also covered if that airport was only connected by that tram/bus line.

Edited: 2:22 am, September 01, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

They are talking about "Verkehrsbund", S-Bahn operates within the "Verkehrsbund" and not within DB:

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

Where is abalada when you need her? ;-)

The S-Bahn is owned and run by Deutsche Bahn Regio: …wikipedia.org/wiki/…S-Bahn-Netze

I suggest you go to the DB web site and try to book a ticket from MUC to Stuttgart, you will see that DB will sell you one, with the S-Bahn as the first leg.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

Panda 74 post 14.

Agree with you that is the way it works. You get free S1/S8 to main station if you have purchased a Rail & Fly ticket from Lufthansa. So technically it's not a free Sbahn as you have paid for a ticket. Then you get onward travel to a German City for prices from €29.

So don't just buy your flight ticket and wave it at the ticket inspector on the Sbahn or you will be fined.

20. Re: Lufthansa free S-Bahn travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:38 am, September 03, 2014