We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in and around Munich (December)

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in and around Munich (December)

Hi All,

We've been looking at visiting Munich for the Christmas markets in December and was hoping to hire a car for 1 of the days/nights we're there and visit Neuschwanstein Castle (possibly spending the night in Fuessen). The roads from what I can see on google maps look as if they pass through a bit of a mountainous area (correct me if I'm wrong), just wondering if it's safe to drive when it's snowy/icy in December or would the train be the better option?

I know this sounds like a stupid question as it's not recommended to drive in snow/ice, but we've heard that the German road systems are quite efficient, having never driven in Germany before, I'd just like to assess the situation?

Any info would be great, thanks.

Danielle

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in and around Munich (December)

>I know this sounds like a stupid question as it's not recommended to drive in snow/ice, but we've heard that the German road systems are quite efficient, having never driven in Germany before, I'd just like to assess the situation?

In a case of a suddens nowstorm the roads get cleared very quickly, but if you don't know what to do if you get on an ice patch, or how to drive in poor visibility (fog or rain or snow flurry), better do not drive. If you come from a region with real winter conditions and you know how to drive then, i see no problems.

The road goes past the foot of the mountains, not high up - this is not a problem.

Still, just taking a train may be more relaxing and probably also cheaper.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in and around Munich (December)

have to echo the previous poster and ask why on earth would you intend to drive from one city to another which are connected with frequent train services?

A car is fab for touring about, visiting villages off the beaten track or many small attractions for a short time at each - and all that class of stuff. But for a journey like you are planning which is a point to point journey, then unless you are carting tons of luggage there's no need for a car and youre better off letting the train take the strain (old Irish Rail catchphrase I think!! ).

Get a couple of beers and some fresh stuffed rolls at the station and enjoy the scenery!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in and around Munich (December)

Whether walking or driving, be aware that the ground by Fuessen and Hohenechwangau may be cold enough that any rain might instantly freeze into ice. And that's particularly true of bridges anywhere.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in and around Munich (December)

Hi guys thanks for your replies, it seems the train may be the way forward.

We hadn't definitely decided on hiring a car we're just weighing up the options at the moment. After a bit of initial research, it seems driving would be quicker, cheaper and more convenient as we don't have to stick to bus and train timetables, we will also have a bit of luggage.

Obviously there's no predicting the weather so I think the train is looking like the best option. To be honest, I haven't had much experience with the public transport in Germany before and only know a little bit of basic German so that was another reason for the car. The trains do seem quite straightforward though.

Thanks for your help,

Danielle

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in and around Munich (December)

Hi Danielle,

One thing to do is just wait until you get there and see what the weather will be on the day that you want to go and decide then.

Also, as far as rail pricing is concerned, do you know about the Bayern Ticket? It's a day pass that allows you to ride on most any rail, street tram, subway, or bus in Bavaria for the day. It costs 22 € for the first person, and then 4 € per additional person up to a total of five people.

It does have a couple of restrictions. You must ride regional trains (not the intercity express trains) and, on weekdays, you must begin your travel after 9 AM.

bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

So for 26 €, you and your partner can get to Füssen and back in one day. Not a bad deal. (Of course, if you want to spend the night in Füssen, that means another 26 € to get back to Munich the next day.) Also, no reservations are needed. You can buy the ticket at the train station on your day of travel.

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in and around Munich (December)

We were in the area last Xmas and had a car. We picked up the car in Frankfurt intending to use it on the Romantic Rd and return it in Garmisch-Partenkirchen before taking the train to Munich. However the driving was so easy that we kept the car for the entire trip, loving the extra freedom that gave us. We were lucky with the weather so the driving conditions were always pretty good, but we always made sure to have a bit of flexibility in our schedule in case the weather and conditions turned nasty.

7. Re: Driving in and around Munich (December)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 02, 2014