We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

- first the Munich Mission

Wapwallopen...
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
- first the Munich Mission

Trip is for my daughter - just graduating from med school in August.

So far - she's flying in to Nuremburg on Sept. 13 and visiting a friend at Vilseck.

So

Friday - arrival

Saturday - open / Sunday - open / Monday - open / Tuesday - open / Wednesday - open

Thursday - open

=========

Friday - travel to Munich (stay)

Saturday - Munich - Oktoberfest opening ceremonies (know to get there very early from other posts)

Sunday - still in Munich - what to do ? Back to the 'beer fest' or ?

Monday - checking out of hotel in Munich.

At this point can go back to Vilseck or spend the day seeing something in the surrounding area on the way back. Not opposed to an overnight somewhere.

================

So to structure things - first the Munich Mission

Hotel is secured so I'd like to try to finalize an itinerary for these days:

Saturday is taken --- Oktoberfest is not to be missed -who would really go to Germany and miss that (she doesn't drink but the experience is to be there...)

So they can arrive early Friday morning and spend the day seeing something then check into hotel. They have Sunday and, while checking out of hotel on Monday - can still spend the day seeing something. My issue is the distance between these things. AND how she can see things at an easy pace but pack as much in as possible.

She loves gothic architecture, she plays some classical piano so anything that would have to do with the "greats" would be a thought. I read somewhere about a zip line or hang gliding in the area --- she tries to get in a zip line wherever she goes (keeps a log of them).She really wants to see the area, the people, the culture...just experience it. So....with that said:

I've been reading about the following:

Salzburg - Ludwig castle - Zugspitze

I also read that you can spend three days just seeing Munich.

Is Salzburg in Austria? Oh yes, that question. Reason I'm asking is regarding border crossing and is there issues with that.

So what do ya'll think? This trip's costing me and I really want to make it as special as can be.

If I can get help with the Munich mission - then maybe I can come back and ask about that first week. There's so much distance between "tourist" areas and I don't want her to spend 8 hours traveling to see one thing....know what I mean? Thanks advance for all your help!!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: - first the Munich Mission

no disrespect intended... but... if she can manage how ever many years of med school then she can probably figure what to spend her time (and your money) when she's on holidays.

I assume you're paying as a graduation gift but I really do think she's big enough to do her own trip planning - just point her in the direction of the forums and see what she comes up with. the search box (directly above your post) will be her friend

Wapwallopen...
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: - first the Munich Mission

I was so thrilled to wake this morning knowing someone was willing to help. Surprise Surprise...

How completely rude of you - I guess this forum isn't the best place to get some help regarding a trip to a country never before visited. BTW ---- she's still in rotations for med school - graduates on the 16 of August - has her medical boards scheduled for the 29th of August and then 2 weeks of interviews. I'm here to do some leg work. Thanks for nothing "friend".

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: - first the Munich Mission

olympiapark.de/en/… there is a zip line directly in Munich.

Yes, Salzburg is in Austria, she can use the Bayernticket to get to it, since Schengen no more borders in the zone, just like crossing state borders in the US.

Do you mean Neuschwanstein with Ludwigs castle? That would be a real long day trip from Munich and better with an overnight there, but it can be done, with only 3 days in Munich I wouldn't do it, there is a lot to see and do in Munich or close by.

http://www.muenchen.de/int/en/sights.html, also check under tourism.

Don't overplan, as #1 said your daughter is an adult and she is visiting a friend, they will come up with things to do and don't get bored, it's nice of you to check for things to do since she's pretty busy right now,

but she probably only does half the things you pick out because something else came up.

Wapwallopen...
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: - first the Munich Mission

Thanks for the info - nothing ever is rigid in the itinerary (other than hotel stay), it's a list of things to see and do - and the travel time involved. She really doesn't have the time to see what is in the areas...I'm putting together a list and she can ask the hotel staff when she gets there - I just don't want her going in "blind". The friend in Germany....she's not going with her to Munich, she has 3 small children and can't leave her home for that amount of time.

With that said - thank YOU for the info on the zip line. AND for the info regarding Neuschwanstein and the time wasted to go between point A & B -- that's the kind of thing I was interested in.

5. Re: - first the Munich Mission

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 29, 2014