We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Berlin to/from Munich feedback

UESyorkie
Level Contributor
203 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Air Berlin to/from Munich feedback

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has flown Air Berlin from the U.S. to Munich recently and what their experience was like.

There was a thread from last year on AB which was mixed to negative, and most of the negative comments (of which there are a lot on the internet) I've read have been about flight delays and lost/delayed baggage.

We're considering flying with them for a Globus tour in September but would rather avoid a vacay horror story of having to catch-up with our tour group because of a flight delay and/or a lost luggage issue.

Any feedback would be wonderful and thanks in advance!!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,412 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Berlin to/from Munich feedback

Reviews on skytrax look pretty dire. Shame as intra Europe flights are excellent.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Berlin to/from Munich feedback

<I've read have been about flight delays and lost/delayed baggage.>

Well I promise you that you can read stuff like that on the internet about every single big airline out there.

There is no perfect airline that has never ever lost luggage and that is 100% on time.

I have read however that Air Berlin has a lower seat pitch than other airlines on trans-atlantic flights.

I can however not speak from experience as I've only been on inner-EU flights of Air Berlin. And I can't complain about those.

UESyorkie
Level Contributor
203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Berlin to/from Munich feedback

Thanks for the replies!

While flight delays and baggage issues can happen on any airline, I'm wary of the preponderance of negative comments about AB on the internet.

Ordinarily I wouldn't stress over a delay, but seeing as we're joining a group bus tour in Munich, we don't have as much flexibility as we'd have if we were on a self-guided trip.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
360 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Berlin to/from Munich feedback

My son flew Air Berlin from Miami to Munich this June. He did not have any issues meeting the family on time upon his arrival plus he paid less then I did flying Lufthansa.

UESyorkie
Level Contributor
203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Berlin to/from Munich feedback

Thanks Perk!! It's good to hear some positive feedback based on actual experience with AB.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Berlin to/from Munich feedback

2 years ago we actually won a round-trip on Air Berlin from NYC > anywhere in Germany. We'd intended to go for Oktoberfest anyway, so it was a very happy prize - but we flew into Düsseldorf to visit Amsterdam before coming back down to Munich for Oktoberfest, then flew back with a layover in Berlin. Besides AB I've only flown Lufthansa/United over for Oktoberfest for the past 5 years. (for reference in what I'm comparing to.)

My thoughts:

-We didn't have any baggage issues, but many people around us, oddly, lost their bags. All of them. They were livid, obviously.

-This is a personal preference, but I prefer in-seat TVs, especially flying inter-continental, AB did not have them

-Oddly there was about half empty seats in economy. Not a bad thing - we moved and stretched out, I just found it odd/not a good sign for the airline. (Again though this was 2 years ago, they may have bolstered their operations since.)

-I just found a general lack of politeness with regards to staff.

All that said, the prices are consistently one of the cheapest (when I've searched for our flights this Oktoberfest), we were not delayed nor did we lose our bags. All in all, OK experience, if not just a little rough around the edges. (but, of course, free, so yay).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Berlin to/from Munich feedback

Last year I flew between Stuttgart and Las Vegas with Air Berlin three times. It was comparable to a flight on any major airline, but exceptionally cheap. No luggage problems or flight delays. The worse thing was the long delay at their Düsseldorf hub for connecting flights.

UESyorkie
Level Contributor
203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Berlin to/from Munich feedback

Thanks for the replies, Cloud and Marco!

We will be flying from JFK to Munich via Düsseldorf (Berlin on our return) in mid-September, and our AB flight was about $100 less expensive than the next cheapest airline and $250 less than Lufthansa. Our layover is 1h15m, which isn't bad at all.

9. Re: Air Berlin to/from Munich feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 29, 2014