We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time travel in Germany

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first time travel in Germany

My son is getting married in Versmold Germany in May 2014. We have never been to Germany and were thinking after the wedding we could explore some. Our thoughts after reading some of the forums is we could leave Versmold and head down some of the places along the Rhine river such as Boppard, Bacharach, Maintz, Heidleburg and then to Munich. From there we want to experience Balvarian Alps. Maybe Mittenwald, Rothenburg?? My daughter also wants to visit Dachau. We have one week and then fly out of Dusseldorf to come back. We will not have a car and will rely on public ransportation. Any help with an itenerary and how to get around would be great. Also we are a little nervous about not being able to speak German. If anyone has suggestions on where we should stay as we travel I would appreciate them. Thanks!! There will be 8 of us traveling together

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time travel in Germany

For public tranport check the trains at:

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

You really want to see a lot of places in only a little time.

Heidelberg, Munich, Rothenburg are lovely, I have been there myself. There´s no problem to get there by train. The others I don´t know about. Dachau is very close to munich and also no problem.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,281 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time travel in Germany

Rothenburg is by no means in mountains. For that, Mittenwald or Fuessen are what you need. Mittenwald is quite high. An air cure resort, it's small and pretty. English will work well enough in most places.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: first time travel in Germany

Thank you for your response. The other small towns I thought I might be able to do a Rhine cruise and maybe just get off in one spot. When I read some things about the cruise I think I would be going up stream instead of down. I wasn't sure which town would be the best one to see.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first time travel in Germany

Thank you. Do you have a suggestion for a place to stay in Mittenwald?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time travel in Germany

You might also consider Garmisch-P in the mountains- a little closer than Mittenwald, beautiful town. Lots of great places to stay- but the absolute best (in my opinion) for a mountain experience is Forsthaus Graseck. You have to take a quick gondola to get there so it's beautifully isolated. Very highly recommended.

I don't think you could see that many cities if traveling by train, especially if you have to go all the way back up to Dusseldorf to fly out. In a week I would choose 2 or 3 at the most. Dachau is an easy 1/2 day activity in Munich.

6. Re: first time travel in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 27, 2014