We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage and stairs on the S Bahn

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Luggage and stairs on the S Bahn

My husband and I (late 50 and 60 years of age) will be traveling to Munich during the Christmas Holidays and will be staying at the Holiday Inn City Centre. We will be arriving at the airport and plan on taking the S Bahn to Rosenheimer Platz. My question is "how many stairs" do we have to carry our luggage or are there elevators, lifts, and/or escalators available so we do not have to haul our luggage up a flight of stairs. If there are a lot of stairs, maybe a taxi would better suit us. I am just planning ahead and did not see any reference as to stairs on previous posts. Thanks in advance.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,412 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage and stairs on the S Bahn

no stairs. Escalator to a basement level, walk past shops until you reach the basement entry to HI. THERE you have 6 steps up to the hotels elevator, I think.

All S bahn stations in central Munich have escalators and elevators to get you off platforms

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
360 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage and stairs on the S Bahn

Though sometimes the escalators are not working.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,412 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage and stairs on the S Bahn

I don't think I've ever found no escalators working- for example in central Munich the stations have escalators at both ends of the platforms. If by chance there is a problem, they usually turn the down one around to become an up machine, but in any event the other end of the platform will be working.

For HI, if you take S8 travel in front end of train; if S1 take rearmost coaches to be near the correct statno exit.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage and stairs on the S Bahn

if functioning escalators is very important and knowledge of their status, then maybe consider a hotel on the Ubahn network instead.

They have a web tool that gives you the status of the lifts and escalators at every station on the U Bahn (NOT S.Bahn) network!

http://www.mvg-zoom.de/

And there really are no lack of escalators. I could count at least 54 escalators and lifts at Karlsplatz station.

Edited: 8:42 am, July 24, 2013
5. Re: Luggage and stairs on the S Bahn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 26, 2014