We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains: Munich airport directly to Salzburg station?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Trains: Munich airport directly to Salzburg station?

My husband and I are traveling to Salzburg for a few days coming up. We will train to Vienna for one night, then train to Prague. My head swirls when I read all the train posts. So, I am asking is it best to purchase train tickets before hand? Or get them the day of travel if you want to train in first class. Also, is there one website (e.g. Eurorail) to get tix? Many thanks for any advice.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,021 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains: Munich airport directly to Salzburg station?

Munich Airport is only served by suburban S-Bahn trains. For Salzburg you'll have to change trains.

Best deal for this trip is a Bayern Ticket (Bavaria Ticket). EUR 26 for 2 persons.

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

Can be bought on spot from ticket machines. For EUR 2 more also at the counters.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains: Munich airport directly to Salzburg station?

I think you will have to catch the S-Bahn from the airport to Ostbahnhof and then get the train to Salzburg. I'm pretty sure you will be able to use a Bayern ticket from Munich to Salzburg on regional trains, it should cost 26euro for both of you.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains: Munich airport directly to Salzburg station?

To follow up on abalada's advice, you are better off (for a number of reasons) buying directly with the relevant national rail company rather than through a reseller website.

Germany: bahn.de

Austria: oebb.at

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains: Munich airport directly to Salzburg station?

Thanks for all the comments!

Is it best to do Bahn from Salzburg to Vienna, and then Vienna to Prague?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,021 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains: Munich airport directly to Salzburg station?

Depends from where you will fly back. If you fly back from Munich a logical route would be Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague - Munich.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains: Munich airport directly to Salzburg station?

Hi, no, week in Prague, then flying out of Prague.

7. Re: Trains: Munich airport directly to Salzburg station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 17, 2014