We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train/Bus travel from Prague to Munich

Auckland Central...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train/Bus travel from Prague to Munich

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way for my two friends and I to get from Prague to Munich. We're hoping to catch some of the Oktoberfest festivities and are looking to leave Prague on the 30th of September.

I've looked on all sorts of forums, raileurope, the db website, CZ train website and am having a bit of a hard time figuring out how everything works and what's legit or not - as each site has different prices and recommendations.

So I thought i'd ask someone's opinion directly:

What would you recommend for 3 people wanting a reasonably easy, cheap option travelling from Prague to Munich?

Thanks so much in advance.

Bayerisch Eisenstein
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train/Bus travel from Prague to Munich

www.bahn.com runs a bus between Prague and Munich. It costs €29 per person & takes just under 4 hours and 45 mins. It's a direct service - it is popular. so best to book in advance, particularly during Oktoberfest.

There's also www.studentagency.eu - again it's a direct bus service between the two cities, but costs a few €uros more. I would suggest they are the easiest, quickest and cheapest methods of travelling between Prague and Munich.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train/Bus travel from Prague to Munich

Studentagency is exactly the same - it runs the service in conjunction with DB (German Railways), but you can't buy tickets for this service through them any more, only the night bus - it is a nice bus, and costs €32 studentagency.cz/jizdenky/videa/index.html

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train/Bus travel from Prague to Munich

If there are three of you then you can take longer and go by train - it is a bit more fiddly and less comfortable, but works out quite cheaply. There are a couple of options:

1. €19 from www.cd.cz/eshop - the tickets come out 60 days in advance so if going during the Oktoberfest you should buy the tickets as soon as they are available.

2. Buy a special offer ticket to Plzeň https://www.cd.cz/eshop/acquisitions.aspx - for three this should cost 270 Crowns, and separately buy a Bayern-Boehmen Ticket at the main station in Prague (Praha Hlavní nádraží) and this costs €34 for up to 5 passengers - you can get this from either the ČD travel office or the RegioJet office, but I don't think the offices open until after 0900 and the morning train goes at 0915 so you might want to do that the day before.

This way it will cost you €15 each and there is no need to change trains, just stay on the direct train all the way to Munich. Show one ticket before Plzeň and the Bayern-Boehmen ticket is valid from Plzeň to Munich. This will only work on the 0915, 1315 and 1715 trains.

Auckland Central...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train/Bus travel from Prague to Munich

Thanks so much guys! This is great.

I've looked up the route on the DB website and there are still 29 Euro seats available which is fab.

Not having booked anything through DB before do they send out tickets/email tickets or do i have to pick them up at a station? Just so I get it all right - the 29 Euro cost includes a ticket and reservation - and I can only use it on the specific time/bus I've booked?

I had originally looked at railplus (who a local travel agent recommended for booking trains) and their recommendation for transport form Prague to Munich was around 99 Euros - which seemed crazy against the 29 Euros booking through DB.

Are sites like Rail Plus and Rail Europe a big have? It's so hard to tell with no experience of the local train networks.

Thanks again.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,670 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train/Bus travel from Prague to Munich

> Not having booked anything through DB before do they send out tickets/email tickets or do i have to pick them up at a station?

You can buy these tickets as Online-Tickets (e-tickets). A PDF document you can print out on your printer at home. Either directly from the website or you can have sent a copy to your e-mail address. Registering with the DB timetable before buying is a good idea.

> Just so I get it all right - the 29 Euro cost includes a ticket and reservation

Yes. Reservation is included as compulsory with long distance buses.

> and I can only use it on the specific time/bus I've booked?

Yes.

Rail Plus and Rail Europe are ticket re-sellers. They tend to sell you only the most expensive tickets available (flexible standard fare tickets). Plus some add-up for the currency exchange. And also heavy service fees if it comes to seat reservations.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train/Bus travel from Prague to Munich

You are right on both fronts, i.e. the €29 ticket is everything - travel plus ticket. You print off what they send you and you just show it to the stewardess when getting on the bus.

And yes, Rail Plus (Australian version of Rail Europe) is a ripoff, do not use. Australian travel agents know no better, and get commission, so they will go through this company, so don't use a travel agent either.

7. Re: Train/Bus travel from Prague to Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 05, 2014