We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Munich to Paris

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
louisiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
train from Munich to Paris

I plan on taking the train from Munich to Paris, however, I am concerned about the amout of time (7-9 minutes) allowed to change trains. Has anyone taken the train to Paris from Munich? If so, are there any problems with making the connection?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Munich to Paris

I have a similar connection at Hannover on my Ams-Munich trip and would be interested in the replies to this. I hope the sterotypical German efficiency rings true here...

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Munich to Paris

Don't count on that. Train delays can happen any time and on a long-distance connection I would not risk such a short interval.

There is one direct TGV per day from Munich to Paris - check if its schedule is convenient for you. If not: You can request longer intervals for change on www.bahn.com - I would take an earlier train on the first leg.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Munich to Paris

some of those intercity connections are designed to be so short and its expected that many will be changing from one train to the other.

Should a small delay happen they will normally keep the connecting train a few minutes.

Requesting a longer interval isnt completely necessary BUT on the run from Munich to Stuttgart it may actually prove to be an advantage.

As the line doesn't allow the high speed (more expensive and more in demand) ICE trains to run at full speed, the normal InterCity trains can do the journey in about the same time but for a cheaper standard ticket, and sometimes more availability of the discounted tickets.

My wife is travelling in September and I managed to get her a first class ticket to Paris by taking the InterCity train 45min or so before the default suggested ICE connection and it costs less than a second class on that ICE connection with little time for a change.

First class on the TGV is VERY VERY comfortable and would be definitely worth considering paying more for anyhow, but to get it for less than a standard ticket by also giving yourself more time for an otherwise tight connection is a steal !!

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Munich to Paris

"I have a similar connection at Hannover on my Ams-Munich trip and would be interested in the replies to this. I hope the sterotypical German efficiency rings true here..."

From my experience as am in Hanover a lot the ICs from Amsterdam in the morning are usually on time, the ones in the afternoon are regularly delayed.

Connection is still tight if you have luggage and you do not know the station.

Your train usually arrives at platform 9 and the ICEs to Munich usually leave from platform 4, not too far to walk as just platform 7/8 in-between these (there is no 5/6), still if you e.g. board the train from Amsterdam at the end there are no escalators downstairs, so either you take the stairs, walk to the lift or walk all the way to the other end of the platform where there are escalators downstairs, so you may require some additional minutes.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Munich to Paris

1) If you buy a through ticket from Munich to Paris from €39 at www.bahn.de/en, you are COVERED by international conditions of carriage (known as the CIV) for any missed connection. So no need to worry, the risk of a missed connection is their risk, not yours, you'll get there whatever..

2) HOWEVER, if you like you can reduce the risk of a missed connection and delayed arrival in Paris by simply clicking 'advanced options' on http://www.bahn.de/en then changing 'duration of transfer standard' to 'at least 30 minutes'. You'll now STILL get the cheap fares from €39, but it'll then (if I'm guessing right about which train you're talking about!) put you on the 09:45 EuroCity train from Munich to Stuttgart, a much safer connection.

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Munich to Paris

We did the same trip (sorta)

we left from Fussen instead of Munich and had to change twice.

We were late getting to Stuttgart by 10 min but the TGV was leaving later than posted (not sure if it was so connections could make the train?) We had 8 minutes to transfer, but since both trains were late, we ended up getting 5 min or so to transfer. It was rushed (2 adults, 2 kids) but we were ready and had reserved seats and glad of that because the train was PACKED! But it was totally doable, they were 1 track over so we had to go down stairs, over, up stairs, board train. I would go over your options and if the 30min window fits, take it, otherwise, cross your fingers and hope it all works out :)

Also, day of, check a ticket machine for the 'schedule' you are taking, it will give you the latest platform numbers (in case it has changed)

Edited: 7:33 pm, July 03, 2013
louisiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Munich to Paris

I want to thank everyone who replied to my post. My husband and I now have much more information that will help us with this trip.

8. Re: train from Munich to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 05, 2014