We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

I was considering buying a ticket online in advance.

But I read online that the castle is not that great from the inside and most of the good views are from the outside.

Can I simply park in Hohenschwangau - get a carriage ride up the hill to the castle and explore the grounds around the castle and then walk or take the carriage ride down hill.

Is that allowed without buying a ticket?

I do not like lines, cues and very crowded places.

Are there also long lines to get on a carriage ride?

Is it hard to find parking in Hohenschwangau?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,417 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

"Can I simply park in Hohenschwangau - get a carriage ride up the hill to the castle and explore the grounds around the castle and then walk or take the carriage ride down hill.Is that allowed without buying a ticket?"

Yes. The ticket is required only for entrance to the castle. You can hike around all over the hillside, cross the Marienbruke, etc. without a ticket. There aren't too many grounds around the castle since it is perched on top of a steep hill.

"I do not like lines, cues and very crowded places. "

If you reserve your ticket ahead of time online, then you don't have to wait in a line. You will have to queue up for your tour in front of the castle though - there are signs showing the times for different tours and you just line up with your group - it is pretty easy and not particularly crowded.

"Are there also long lines to get on a carriage ride?"

There can be. You can take a bus (possible lines also) or just walk up the hill.

"Is it hard to find parking in Hohenschwangau?"

No - you pay your parking fee and park in the visitors' lot.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Thank you. You have been very helpful. It seems it makes sense that if I go there I buy a ticket to go inside.

So here is my last question.

How long does it take to get by bus or by horse buggy from the town to the castle. I know the ride is not long but sometimes there are long lines for both. (especially July/August)

So for example if I buy a ticket for noon tour. When should I get to the town to pick up my ticket and get a ride to the castle - so I don't miss my tour time? (Thank you in advance)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,417 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

It is required that you pick up your ticket at least 1 hour before your tour. That will give you plenty of time.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Thanks

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

I went through it when I was in high school 25 years ago and went back last year with my wife. We took one look at the line and decided just to take a few pictures and move on. The castle's interior was never completed and I only recall a bedroom and the throne room as being all that interesting. Definitely worth the trip down there just to see it from the outside though.

Auburn, AL
Level Contributor
261 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

We used Hohenschwangau village as a base a couple of years ago, even though we had no interest in the castle tours. But that was early spring, when crowds were not a problem. Our strategy was view each castle on foot in the mornings, before the tour buses arrived and tour the countryside (Wieskirche, Linderhof, Ettal, GP, etc.) in two daytrips, returning to the village in late afternoon as the daytrippers there were leaving.

Seeing the castles at sunset and illuminated at night in the snow was a great experience. We toured Linderhof and had been in enough other palaces and castles that a tour of Neuschwanstein did not seem worth the trouble. In the summer, I would probably choose to stay in Schwangau at the base of the hill, but I would love to go back and stay in the village in winter or fall.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,417 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

We toured both Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles and thoroughly enjoyed both tours. That period in European history is quite interesting and the story of the Wittlesbach family at that time has lots of good intrigues and drama.

Hohenschwangau was the family home and was quite a good tour - fully furnished, absolutely lived in, lots of stories about the family. Neuschwanstein is Ludwig's grand fairytale palace, which of course, was not finished because the family cut off his finances. I did not find the tour to be a let down, not at all - I do wish I could have spent more time in the palace, but I understand that it is popular and they need to get people through, so that was fine. The rooms that are complete are amazing and are definitely a peak into the crazy head of Ludwig. The rooms that are not finished are interesting as well - it isn't often that you get to see what is under the façade.

So anyway, we enjoyed our tour as many people do. For others, it just isn't what they are looking for, which is fine. But if you decide on a tour, definitely buy your tickets ahead of time and skip the line.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,237 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Enjoy from the outside. Inside was not completed!

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

Actually the only line you can't get around is if you take a carriage or shuttle up.

They can be quite long.

You have to pick up your ticket down in Schwangau an hour before your 'tour time' and that is usually plenty of time to get to the castle (Neuschwanstein). It is an easy walk up to Hohenschwangau if you decide to tour that one too.

Once you to to the castle you can sit down and wait for your tour time. Once the time comes up and your tour number shows, you can go scan your ticket and join your group, it's very easy and organized.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
369 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need to buy a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle?

If you are in good shape and like to hike walk up via the waterfall trail, loved it!