We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

Can anyone tell me where the Jewish shtetl or ghetto was located in Munich? I found the location once, but cannot locate it now at all. I am shooting a documentary in Munich and Krakow next week and want to go to the location of the shtetl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,587 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

No Jewish ghetto in Munich (or elsewhere in Germany) during WWII. These were only established in Poland and other occupied territories.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nazi-era_ghettos

Jewish ghettos only existed in Germany in Medieval times. Some till end of the 19th century.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurter_Judengasse

While my hometown still has a street "Jews' Alley" already in 1806 with 7% of the population being Jewish none of them lived in this street anymore.

But don't know if there was ever a dedicated Jewish quarter in Munich at all.

Edited: 9:39 pm, June 23, 2013
Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

My grandfather was a master carpenter Nd it is told that he was part of a crew who built the Jewish ghetto in Munich before Dachau was created. It was north of Marienplatz beginning on one of the rings, but I cannot remember which one. It was small and not nearly what the Polish shtetl a wer, but it is my understanding that Munich did have a small one. Does any of is ring a bell with your knowledge of Munich history?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

there was a kindof jewish ghetto in Milbertshofen (corner Knorrstr/ Troppauerstr, nowadays U bahn "am Hart") which at its height had 1376 people living there. Its marked today by a monument.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Judenlager_Milbertshofen (use google translate or similar to get a translation)

not sure of what rings your grandad meant, but theres the Railway "Nordring" which is directly beside it and the road Frankfurter Ring is maybe 500 yards away.

theres another article here on the deportation of Jews from the Milbertshofen Deportation camp which the journalist mentions as being a ghetto.

tz-online.de/aktuelles/muenchen/muenchens-du…

As that happened just over 70 years ago, there was a number of exhibitions and whatnot to cooincide with the anniversary of the first deportations, mostly held at the community centre on Kurt Metzger platz, which is named after one of the inmates who was the last leader of the camp.

an eerily brilliant resource is http://www.memoryloops.net/ which provides first hand accounts of happenings during the Nazi period and links them to an exact location in Munich city, and its also available with english audio. Theres a couple of pieces on Knorrstr 148

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,587 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

There were two deportation / transit camps in Munich: Milbertshofen and Berg am Laim.

Milbertshofen one was consisting of 18 wooden barracks. Berg am Laim one was in a wing of a monastery, i.e. in an existing building.

Milbertshofen is north of Marienplatz but marks the outskirts of Munich. Northern border of this city district is also the city border.

The NS labelled this camp "Judensiedlung Milbertshofen" (Jewish settlement Milbertshofen). An euphemism for a camp run by the NSDAP. To call this a ghetto is too close to the euphemism Judensiedlung the Nazis choose. Common is only that the inhabitants ended largely in death camps. But in a Jewish ghetto the inhabitants had their own shops, often a synagogue and at least some level of self-administration.

> in Munich before Dachau was created

Dachau was the first concentration camp opened. Already at the 22. March 1933. Mainly for political opponents.

Start of the Milbertshofen deportation / transit camp was at 17. March 1941. First inmates arrived 11. October 1941. And after less than a year, on the 19. August 1942, it was already closed.

Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

Thanks do much for all of that information. I will dig further to try and piece together what my grandfather's story was. He died when I was very young and the men in our family never talked of war time and their roles other war. I am left to piece together parts of their histories.

Munich
Level Contributor
182 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

In the early history of Munich, the Jewish area was in what is now Marienhof, directly behind the New Townhall. Not relevant to your project perhaps but does show that Jews have lived here for a long time.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

Only so that you do not overlook it (its importance pales besides the superbly detailed information offered by others here), have you seen this video art project, which I saw in New York? - stills or excerpts on the artist's site:

susanhiller.org/Info/artworks/artworks-JStre…

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

just for reference, I found this original plan of the Jewish settlement/ concentration camp

eberstadt.info/darkness/4%20MasbachHermineDa…

Buhlstrasse on the old map is now called Tropauerstrasse and the area where the camp was located is now an office block for BMW with an entrance to the underground and memorial in the top left corner. The overall area was barely more than 2 or 3 football fields in size.

9. Re: Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, November 17, 2013
10. Re: Jewish ghetto in Munich during WWII

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 19, 2014