We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this Neuschwanstein itinerary possible?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is this Neuschwanstein itinerary possible?

Hello. Need help from the experts. I am trying to find out if the following one day itinerary is possible or not.

- Take 9:52 AM train from Munich to Fussen (with Bayern ticket)

- Pick up Neuschwanstein tickets for 2:25 tour as soon as we arrive

- Eat lunch at Hotel Muller

- Walk/Carriage ride up to Castle for tour

- After tour, walk to Tegelberg to do the luge

- Take bus from Tegelberg back to Fussen

- Leave for Munich on 6:06 train

Questions:

- We would like to see the view of the Castle from the Marienbrücke bridge (?) Do we do that on the way up to the Castle or after?

- Will we have time to walk to Tegelberg and do the luge?

- Is there time to get a quick bite to eat before we get on the train? Can we take food on the train?

Thanks again for all of the advice. Our trip is just around the corner!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this Neuschwanstein itinerary possible?

- We would like to see the view of the Castle from the Marienbrücke bridge (?) Do we do that on the way up to the Castle or after?

Both is possible.

a) if you want to take a horse carriage up to Neuschwanstein

b) if you want to walk to the Tegelberg luge

it makes sense to go to Marienbrücke after the castle tour

- Will we have time to walk to Tegelberg and do the luge?

The walk to the luge does not take much more time than the walk back to Hohenschwangau village. There is a nice walk through the Pöllat Gorge towards the Tegelbergbahn (Tegelberg cable car valley station - where the summer luge is located). The entrance to the Gorge is between Neuschwanstein Castle and the Marienbrücke. Do not follow the signs to the "Tegelberg" itself - these signs will get you to the Tegelberg mountain itself.

acht-seligkeiten.de/2009%20AVWandern/09Poell…

(note that the publisher made this tour in opposite direction, i.e. uphill)

- Is there time to get a quick bite to eat before we get on the train? Can we take food on the train?

You can take food on the train. But is there any reason to rush back to Munich? There are quite a number of later train connections as well. And Füssen is a nice town. Civil twilight is also towards 10pm this time of the year.

http://fuessen-en.ictourismus.de/

Edited: 9:45 pm, May 22, 2013
Singapore
Level Contributor
527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this Neuschwanstein itinerary possible?

hi we did the castle trip ourselves here as well with the superb help of the TA experts here and it was super enjoyable. If you like to see photos to visualise what the trip will look at, i have shared it on my blog.

baconandjackrussells.com/2013/…

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this Neuschwanstein itinerary possible?

In regards to the Tegelberg slide. I want to do this also.

Is it only open when it isn't raining?

How is the walk there from the castle? I had thought we'd travel down and take the bus there (I heard the same bus that takes you to Schwangau will also go there?)

Or should we avoid both and walk straight there?

Thanks for any addition info on this too

4. Re: Is this Neuschwanstein itinerary possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 06, 2014